All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report

My friends Jackie and Bob Just got new Prowlers and wanted to try them out.I suggested Tidelands Park on San Diego Bay. My other buddy , Drew, came along in his Necky Dolphin. He didn't fish, but wanted to check it out and see what it was all about. We got down to Tidelands around 6:00 A.M. Usually on holiday weekends the parking lot fills up early. Today there was pleanty of parking. Jackie and Bob showed up shortly after us. We unloaded our kayaks and were talking when we heard someone cussing up a storm. It was some old guy that was sleeping in his car. I guess we woke him up. This dude must have been off his meds. He was yelling about where we could stick our kayaks and a bunch of neo nazi crap. We just ignored him and he went back to sleep. Too funny!

We launched about 6:30. It was beautiful today! The water was like glass!
We tried around the sailboats and bridge for a while for only a few taps. We moved over to the mouth of Glorietta Bay. I started out fishing a 4" grub and got a few taps on it, but not much else. I switched over to the dropshot for
no takers. I finaly tried the Gulp new penny 2" shrimp on a 1/4 oz leadhead.
Second cast I nailed a nice spottie! That setup turned out to be the ticket this morning.

I nailed a bunch of spotties and some dink sandies.

I also caught this nice yellowfin croaker that was around 14 inches. It fought like somthing way bigger.

Jackie and Bob started catching fish as well.

Here is Jackie with a nice spottie.

Bob with a nice spottie

I think we are going to get Drew on some fish next time.

Drew and I headed back home around 9:15 I wanted to watch some racing
today.
Totals: 16 bass (Mix of spotties and sandies to 14")
1 YFC 14 inches

Hot lure today: Gulp new penny 2" shrimp

While we were loading up our kayaks the old dude from this morning started
ranting again at some other people. The dude seriously needs some help. I wonder if he is related to the crazy lady that lives on one of the moored boats next to Tidelands? It was a fun day on the water with some great friends. I can't wait to do it again next weekend.

Robert
Old 05-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report

Robert,
Glad to hear you were able to hit the water today. I just got off work at 2:30, but it feels like I may get "Knottsfluenza" one last time, maybe Tuesday as a matter of fact, and maybe doing some halibut hunting may be just the cure

I dunno what it is about Tidelands. First the crazy lady saying she doesn't shoot rabbits in our backyard, so why the hell are we fishing in hers thing. Sean from Malibu Kayaks looked at her like what the hell looney bin did she walk out of. Now, you met a relative of hers? Talk about a bunch of unfriendly folks

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report

Perry,
Yea, this old guy was a trip. I know you run a family forum here, so I won't
get into the particulars of what this nutjob was yelling. When I look back on it I think it was kind of funny though. He was all stretched out in his car sleeping, and anyone who would close a car door or make any noise he would jump up and
hurl a bunch of "F" bombs and crazy talk at them. I wouldn't be suprised if the cops came and hauled the guy away. If I had more time this morning I would have called them myself. It didn't take anything away from the day though. It was some good fishing with some great friends.

Robert