All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Fresh-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Baitfish

andrewtp is on a distinguished road
Default Where to kayak fish Perris?

I've been a few times to Lake Perris and fished from shore, but never in boat/vessel. Caught some decent sized fish from shore and I know there are big ones there and I'll be able to find em a lil better w/ the kayak. I'm planning to kayak fish out there for the first time and I don't have a graph - where are some good spots to try?

I hear there is a nice spot a mile or two down the dam that holds a lot of fish, but for the purposes of saving energy to fish and not paddle all day I'd like to know of any spots to try out .

I've had good luck w/ senkos and roboworms offshore. I'll probably try trolling senkos and floating rapalas to my destination, then try senkos and plastics and spinners and cranks.

I appreciate any tips, Thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Free Swimmer

KirkG. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to kayak fish Perris?

Let me know what you find out. I have been trying to get out and fish freshwater for awhile now and am always on the lookout for new places. I hear Perris is a good place to go but I havent had the time due to work and family schedules.

Good luck.

KirkG.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Baitfish

skatino is on a distinguished road

Kirk,

I have fished there about a month ago. Let me know if you wanna hit it up, its simple. Pay your fee at the entry and head on in. Of course they are going to inspect your yak, but the launch is nice. I just wheeled my yak down so not to tie up a ramp.

The day I went I fished the reeds on the east side with Zoom Flukes on an unweighted hook. Fish on topwater is always fun. Also got a few on a roboworm texas rigged with a tiny bullet on 4lb and also on roboworms on dropshot out by the rocks.

Steve
Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Baitfish

Steve- what rigs /lures did you have most success with and where?

Im hoping to get out there next week, I'll shoot you a pm if I do.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Baitfish

Most success was flukes along the east reeds (slug-go type baits fished topwater, 2 bass to about 2.5 lbs). There were alot of shad just outside the reeds so I figured there had to be fish. I recommend getting a fish-n-map co map for the lake. If you go, let me know, I live about 30 minutes away.

Second best was a texas rigged roboworm on 4lb test, but the fish I got on this were pretty small (about 12")

First two fish were on flukes, third drop shot roboworm, last two texas roboworm (off of the southwest corner of the island)

Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Home Guard

kobra is on a distinguished road

Very nice Steve. I'm gonna hafta join you one day.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Baitfish

I'm not to familiar with the Lake, is the east reeds side opposite the dam ( near the hunting area)?

http://www.water.ca.gov/lakeperris/m...yWithSpecs.pdf

Steve, where do you launch? I'm not out there for exercise but to fish haha
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Baitfish

Launch in the marina (I don't think they will allow you to launch anywhere else) and the east reeds are on the north east corner, kind of between the hunting area and the bernasconi hills. Bit of a trek, but if the winds aren't bad just troll your way over. There is also alot of structure on the south side of the island with a few nice drops and humps out by the buoys that I marked fish on. Unfortunately I was on my way in for the day and they were kicking us off the water.

I saw a few fish in the marina first thing in the morning chasing shad but I couldn't get any love (through a hard jerk bait at them, a crank, and a swimbait for no love).

I recommend playing the winds. I pedal a hobie so its not a deal, but if you paddle head into the wind, that way your trek back home is super easy. Also, I didn't fish the dam, but I think that will be my next stop when I am out there.

Steve
Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Baitfish

Thanks for the advice. I know the dam holds nice fish, caught a couple 4 lbers a couple weeks ago from shore over there. Those marina fish are hard to catch I think because so much pressure they get, those docks are always full of fishermen.

I will be paddling and I know how strong those winds can get over there.

Cant wait to get out!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Hook Up!

jimmythefish is on a distinguished road

They have always let me launch my kayak out of Sail Bay. Its the shore closest to the Dam. There is handicapped fishing area and Yaks and tubes are alowed to drive down to the shore and unload before parking in the lot. Its cool EZ launch.