All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Baitfish

pcolaguy is on a distinguished road
Default Transporting Hobie Outback

I'm going to purchase a Hobie Outback as soon as I figure out how best to transport it. I have a Toyota Tacoma with a double cab so my truck bed is only 5' long. The Outback is 12' long. If I just use the truck bed, I would have to buy a bed extender that fits into my trailer hitch receiver and extends out about 4', giving me 9' of support for the Outback. Then I would have to place a red flag on the end of the Outback to be legal and to alert drivers behind me. This sounds like the simplest way to transport it, as I wouldn't have to lift it very far to get it into the truck but I'm kinda goosey about letting so much of it hang out the back for fear that someone could run into it. If anyone has a better and safer way to do this, I'd like to hear from you.....Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Free Swimmer

KirkG. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transporting Hobie Outback

Thats pretty much the way to get it done. You could always buy the bed extender that converts to a "T" the raises it up to the height of your cab and put a rack on top. That would raise the boat out of harms way, but most people just let it hang out the back. Put some red magnetic or bolt on lights on the bed extender and your good to go.

KirkG.