All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Predator

fishfinder has a spectacular aura about
Default Huntington harbor 6/22/07 Report

What a great day, We started out at the beach at 8:30 got our gear together and headed to the hunting grounds. The tide was still going out and not much action .

It was a treat for me because Douglas(SEA EAGLE) had a fish finder on this outing and I finally got to see why the fish were holding in certain areas were I catch most of my fish. I still really don’t know why. It was nice to see that there was no method to the madness. But the little fishes on the screen were cool and it beeped every now and then. Apparently Doug and Robert knew how to read it because they kicked my butt

We slowly made are way to the PCH bridge. We would have made it quicker but Robert (Doug’s son) was entertaining us with his jokes and my lengthy explanation on why we cant go pass the PCH bridge.( I’m sure Doug would love to elaborate)

We finally made it to the bridge were we met a couple of guys fishing live bait from there small boat. They were hitting sharks at each cast. They told us that the halibut would only eat the tails of there bait and leave the head and hook hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm I will have to see it on the fish finder next time.

I have to explain the picture below Robert decided to cast at the cars on the bridge because the fishing slowed down last I heard he caught a 4 door sentra

Also my new method of securing my anchor

As the day went on there was a lot of bass being caught and released we had a great time then at about 5:00 it happened. Robert being the master fisherman that he is, caught an average size sand bass, at an instant we were attacked by a Great Blue Heron that showed no mercy to the poor sand bass and almost took the poor fishes life. If it wasn’t for Roberts quick thinking the fish would have been killed in an instant. I have to say that was an aggressive bird Ive never seen a Heron swoop that close to any human before the was literally no less then a foot at most to Robert.

And how can a fish get hooked like this

We left at about 6:00 it was one of those days you don’t want to leave the water.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Huntington harbor 6/22/07 Report

Great report and pictures! Looks like you guys had a fun day on the water. Thanks for sharing.

Robert
Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Huntington harbor 6/22/07 Report

Pete,
Thanks for sharing your adventure with your friends. Herons and pelicans are pretty docile birds as a whole, but I ran into a pelican with a definite type "A" personality one time and he let me know that all fish were his, at least in his own mind. I'll talk to you soon

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube