All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Baitfish

FreezeYak is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Carlsbad, CA, Kelp Beds

I just moved up the coast to Carlsabad from San Diego. I launched La Jolla a couple dozen times last year because it was so close. Now that I have moved, I am looking for that quick evening/morning paddle and wet line. Has anyone ever launched in Carlsbad to fish the kelp, or any good hali spots?? Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Baitfish

LSmoot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing Carlsbad, CA, Kelp Beds

FreezeYak,

I cannot comment on a place to launch in Carlsbad, as I've never done it myself. However, I am in Cardiff every day of the week for work, and the swells have been 1.5ft or smaller this week. It's like a lake, and would be easy to launch there and get to the kelp bed, which basically runs the length of the campground. I've never fished the ocean, but I want to start taking my hobie out. I'm looking for someone to buddy with and hit up the kelp beds. Let me know if you're interested. I'd be up for Carlsbad, too.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Baitfish

robi is on a distinguished road

Im a noob, but im interested as well
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Baitfish

I heard from a friend that surfs Carlsbad that a good place to launch a kayak is near the jetty just north of the smoke stack.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Baitfish

So I went out Saturday by the jetty just north of the C-bad powerplant. By no means was this an easy launch/landing. Chest high+ surf. I put all my rods inside my kay before launching and landing for safe measures.

As for the fishing, I work the kelp just off the powerplant for a good four hours for nada. Easily made bait with a sabiki rig; took a little time to get small enough ones for bass/halibut. Used live bait high/low, big hammers, all for nothing. Saw the reports in La Jolla were about the same so I don't feel so bad now.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Baitfish

So I have been hitting that same spot for calicos a couple times a week. Got it down fairly well. In twos hours typically 3-5 cali's, keep one for fresh dinner. Not a bad evening after work. The surf has been small and it is a piece of cake.

I have been looking at some charts and maps; it seems there is a bit of a canyon that runs almost up to that kelp (about 1/4 mile out from it). There has been really good WSB reports lately from Oceaside to Long Beach. I am going to give it a try Saturday morning at that spot. Planning on 5-5:30 am launch, go to the kelp then west until I hit 100-120 ft (that should put me at the edge of the canyon), and dropper loop dead squid on the drift. I'll give it a couple hours, and if nothing takes I'll go back in for some cali's.

Let me know if anyone would like to join me.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Baitfish

Plans may change, I hear of Yellow sightings in La Jolla. Not biting yet, but sightings. Just like they did at the nados before going off.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Baitfish

I would join you in La Jolla, but I'm not able to fish Saturday. I'm planning on Sunday 6/3 in the Tidelands if you want to go.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Baitfish

nawaz is on a distinguished road

I just moved up the coast to Carlsabad from San Diego. I launched La Jolla a couple dozen times last year because it was so close. Now that I have moved, I am looking for that quick evening/morning paddle and wet line. Has anyone ever launched in Carlsbad to fish the kelp, or any good hali spots?? Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 12:05 AM
Baitfish

Desy 104 is on a distinguished road

Hello! I'm not an expert in all this yet, but I'm interested in such questions. I esteem your opinions, I think it will come in handy