All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Tournaments > All Other Kayak Fishing Tournaments

Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Baitfish

bowlboy is on a distinguished road
Default Results Big Hammer Tournament @ Leo Carrillo

Sorry for the late results, but tournament director Brian aka. Wookie Wacker got busy with school and chasing girls, so I get the privilege of delivering the final results.

Most of the competitors arrived in the pre dawn darkness at Leo to the sound of some pretty decent surf. The big southern hemi that was predicted for Thursday and Friday had backed down a bit, only to be boosted up by the hurricane off Baja. Launch was delayed just long enough to get some decent light for safe launching. Looked like most of the yaks got through OK and with a little careful kicking the 2 float tube boys (including me) got through dry. Only heard one story of a tough pounding taken by one competitor. Something about going up on the rocks with several broken rods and a cracked boat. OUCH!! I believe he won a gift certificate to Taylor Tackle in the raffle, but it won’t buy a new yak.

Now for the good stuff. Here are the final standings.

14 Anglers caught and weighed 54 Bass & I heard of a short halibut & a short WSB or 2
  • Robbie Mott 16.11 Lbs. Big fish of 4.11 Lbs.
  • Ed Zumuin 16.02 Lbs. Big fish of 4.12 Lbs.
(Sorry about the spelling Ed couldn’t read Wookies scratch)
  • Jake DeAngelis 15.10 Lbs. Big Fish of 5.0 Lbs.
  • Bryan Davis (Float Tube) 13.06 Lbs. Big Fish of 4.02 Lbs.
  • Pete Wolf (Float Tube) 10.14 Lbs. Big Fish of 2.06 Lbs.
  • Mark Pierpont 8.04 Lbs. Big Fish of 2.3 Lbs.
  • Jack Lamoureux 7.10 Lbs.
  • Eric Fishman 6.06 Lbs. Big Fish of 5.03 Lbs.
  • Terry Regan 6.03 Lbs. Big Fish of 2.07 Lbs.
  • Mike Carson 4.12 Lbs. Big Fish of 1.12 Lbs.

Big Fish Money went to Eric Fishman for his 5.03 Calico

All and all a fun day on the water. Wind kicked up about 10 but backed down again by about 11.

My personal report –

Kind of a hairy kick out though the surf but made it OK. Since I realistically couldn’t make any major moves in the float tube, fished the Leo rocks “Dead Zone”. I had good fishing most of the morning but had a major lull around 10:30. Missed 3 fish with about 30 min. left, but I think they were small fish anyways. All of my fish came on the 4 and 5.5 inch Redrum with most of the fish on the 4 inch and my bigger fish on the 5.5. I understand from the weigh boat that I had third locked up until right before the end when a 5 pounder dropped me to fourth. Doh! Still had a great morning with about 12 fish caught. Wish I had my catch from my prefish the weekend before which would have put me in 1’st or 2’nd for sure.

I would like to give a special thanks to Capt. Larry Heron of Calico Hunter Charters for being our weigh boat. He went above and way beyond, to make sure everyone got their fish weighed promptly. Also a big thanks to Brian (Wookie Wacker) for organizing the tournament and to Big Hammer Swimbaits, Pro-cure bait scents and Taylor Tackle for sponsoring the tournament and for the give aways and raffle items.

The next event looks like it will be held on September 23. The location has yet to be determined, but watch the boards for the exact location and sign up info.

bowlboy
Old 09-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Results Big Hammer Tournament @ Leo Carrillo

Bowlboy,
Thanks for the report and welcome to the boards Defjack said those who didn't flash missed a good tournament and I believe him. Leo Carillo is an awesome beach to fish and camp at. I like that a couple of tubers got out there and in the mix also. I like my kayak, but I still love fishing from the float tube also..It's good stuff. Please let us know whats going on with Big Hammer as you see fit. I have used their plastics for years and they are my definate choice. I saw the coloring on the redrum swimbait and it looks like it would haul in some bass. Reds usually slay them. Also, when you know the details for the next tourney, please let us know that also.Take Care and good fishing,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube