All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Baitfish

Outdoorguy57 is on a distinguished road
Default Sit in or Sit on kayaks for fishing?

I've owned canoes and whitewater kayaks, but am looking into getting a kayak for fishing on lakes and ponds. I want stability and good tracking, so I'm thinking that a 12' or longer kayak will be the ticket.

I'm seeing a lot of sit in type kayaks that are offered/suggested for fishing. Unless, they're more stable than they look, it would appear that they're just a flip away from dunking me and my fishing gear. For that reason, I would prefer a sit in type kayak. Not to mention, I don't care for the drain holes that are in the decks of the sit on kayaks....but maybe they're not an issue.

Other than personal preference, what's your choice in a kayak for fishing?
What place/function do sit ON kayaks have for fishing?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Outdoorguy57
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Baitfish

g-man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sit in or Sit on kayaks for fishing?

I have one of each, an Ocean Kayak Malibu tandem sit on top and a NativeWatercraft Ultimate16 Propel which is basically a sit in. I like them both, but for the lakes we fish in the midwest with no waves crashing over the side, I prefer the Native. Sit on tops drain water and work much better in rough water. They are both stable, but the Native is better. I stand and cast from the Native with no problems, it has a double hull that is designed to place your feet below water level. Either will work for lakes and ponds, it probably comes down to which is more comfortable and has enough room for you and your gear.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Baitfish

Outdoorwatercooler is on a distinguished road

I fish out of a sit in because the spring and fall fishing around here is cold water and I seem to be able to stay a lot drier in my sit in then sit on. I also like my gear storage that the sit in offers. My fish finder is mounted in front of me in the **** pit out of the way when fighting a fish.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Baitfish

fssshhh is on a distinguished road

I have a sit in that I fish from and use to crab in the ocean. I enjoy staying warm and dry on cold days. It is easier for me to paddle than sit on tops and I am able to keep up with stronger paddlers. I bought it because it is 26 pounds and I am able to load it on my car myself. Most sit in kayaks are lighter than sit on tops but the sit on tops are getting lighter (34 pounds). Sit in kayaks have closed water tight storage in front or back or both. I fit all my camping gear in my two enclosed storage areas but if I am bring a cooler it can be tricky. You just have to be creative. I put a bucket in the back round storage of my boat and fill it with my lunch/snacks/water that way I can get to it without getting out of my kayak. Those are some of the good features of having a sit in.

The sit on top is nice on a warm day if you want to get some sun or stretch out. They have more on deck storage such as flush rod holders, places for coolers, food, cup holders, crab traps if you go crabing, places to put your tackle, paddle holders, you can load your boat with camping gear if you are going camping on an island or part of a lake that you can't get to by car. You dont have to worry about rolling your kayak. Some of the sit on tops are stable enough to stand up on if you are fishing. If you are not looking for speed, a super light weight boat, or going out in high seas then it seems a sit on top would work well. They even make a new one I think for 2012 that has a wheel built in so you can roll it.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Baitfish

koolerb is on a distinguished road

If conditions are no rain and fairly calm I take my Ultimate, which is more of a sit-in. If conditions are rough or rainy I want something that's self bailing like my Magic, which is a sit on top.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Baitfish

Bernie P. is on a distinguished road

Over the years I've used both.If you want a good SI look into these-
http://www.cdkayak.com/products/temp...6157645b970b0d
WS has some nice ones of both types but their Pungo's all have larger cockpits than the Kestrels which can get you into trouble.That said I had the 140 and loved it.For SOT'S have a look at RTM-
http://www.rtmkayaks.com
Good luck!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:02 AM
Baitfish

Mike is on a distinguished road

It depends on the weather condition. I use Malibu X-factor which is a sit-on-top kayak for fishing. It offers good stability, tracking and enough cargo space. If you are a newbie try looking for best fishing kayak for beginners that might help you.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM
Baitfish

Brittany is on a distinguished road

I own both sit in and sit on kayaks for my fishing adventure and I got to say it all depends on the mood you are in. I personally prefer sit on top due to the greater stability. I am using the lifetime tandem fishing kayak for sit on top. You can check out the lifetime kayak reviews.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Baitfish

JDMiller820 is on a distinguished road

Hi Outdoorguy57,
Everyone has great points. I was in the same dilemma when I was shopping for a kayak. Ultimately I chose a sit-in kayak; however, I now want a sit-on-top. I love my sit-in, but I definitely envy the stability and ability to stand in a sit-on kayak. Maybe you will be like me and want both after a while!