All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Newport Friday Afternoon

Plans are to head out to Newport this coming Friday the 22nd for some evening bass fishing. High tide is after 8pm, so plans are to launch at Coast Guard Beach by 5:30-6ish and get in a few good hours of tidal movement. If you would like to meet up before the launch, reply or send a PM. I may stay in front of the launch, or take a couple hour ride on the tide inland and see who's home and cover more area. Company is welcome

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 09-19-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newport Friday Afternoon

I plan to be there Friday.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Baitfish

ems_yakker is on a distinguished road

Hey sea slug it was nice meeting you at Dana Point on Saturday. I will be at Newport on Friday, Will try to get there around 3:00 pm I will look for you guys or try channel 71.

See you then
Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Smile Re: Newport Friday Afternoon

We came, we saw and we fished. It was nice meeting you Seaslug, unforunately ems_yakker turned up to be mia_yakker for the evening

We caught perch, croaker, and a dozen or so bass to round things out. We were having good luck on the plastics so we stayed with them. Seaslug brought down a new Hobie cart with the wider wheels on it and they looked to do the trick for the sand there, so that was good.

Of course, the more I fish with guys in Hobies the more I'm starting to envy them. It just looks too easy and practical when compared to using a paddle to make drift corrections while you have your rod in your hands also.

PerryC.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Perry,
Great to see you out on the water Bro. If you are liking the concept of the Hobies now, just wait until you try one. There will be no hope for you after that.
Just think of it.....Drinking beer while trolling. What a beautiful
thing!

Robert
Old 09-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Home Guard

Very good introduction to Newport at night. Things went very well for a first effort. I was thinking of offering to tow Perry but figured it would be embarassing for him.

Did you listen to "Let's Talk Hookuup" this morning? Much about Newport Bay fishing with Gulp and plastics.

Anyone want to go out again soon let me know.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

The croaker guy needs to know! What size were the fish? I wouldn't eat a fish from the back bay, but I've eaten fish from down by PCH. Between the breakwalls is a sometimes very productive area. That's where Hotchkiss got his 1-1/2 hour sleughride! Busy taking my daughter back to UC Santa Barbara today! I might join you guys next week. Did you use lights? Gulp? Piranha/Jerry
Old 09-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Free Swimmer

Fishyaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
We came, we saw and we fished. It was nice meeting you Seaslug, unforunately ems_yakker turned up to be mia_yakker for the evening

We caught perch, croaker, and a dozen or so bass to round things out. We were having good luck on the plastics so we stayed with them. Seaslug brought down a new Hobie cart with the wider wheels on it and they looked to do the trick for the sand there, so that was good.

Of course, the more I fish with guys in Hobies the more I'm starting to envy them. It just looks too easy and practical when compared to using a paddle to make drift corrections while you have your rod in your hands also.

PerryC.
Was this the cart:
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Smile Re: Newport Friday Afternoon

No, the cart Seaslug had has wheels similar to the roleez, but they are smaller diameter and a bit narrower. However, they said "wheelez" on them, but that may be a offshoot or ?? from Roleez. If you goto the roleez.com website, you'll see the public notice. Looks like they moved to wheeleez.com for some reason and will no longer be marketing under the roleez name. However, if you want to modify or make your own cart out of PVC or ?? and have high flotation wheels, they have a special this month on cosmetic blems for $20 something off regular price. They can be found at http://www.wheeleez.com/wheels-beach.php#30cm

Jerry aka "Kroaker King",
We were using stern lights after dusk to be seen a bit easier by other boaters. We used the small 2" size gulp shrimp for the fishies. Maybe that was the problem, small bait=small fish. Most of the fish were pretty small compared to the previous week, and the bass were undersized to be legal. I'm not sure about more Fridays/Weekends for awhile I already have my Calendar penciled in through November with alot of weekend work parties on houses painting/repairing, grading in roads etc. It's gonna be tight.
PerryC.

Hope this helps,
Perry

Last edited by PerryC; 09-23-2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot "The Mighty Croaker King"
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Home Guard

I can't go next Friday - out of town. How about Sta., Sun, or Mon. or Tues. night from now? I'm ready to go.

BTW Turner's has Gulp 25% off this weekend.