All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 01-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Baitfish

jtj0026 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie - need advices

Hi everyone,

I've fished saltwater almost all my life but Kayaking and Kayak fishing are brand new to me. I would like to explore and see if kayak fishing is for me. I just turned 50 last year, 5'4" short, average (or below average) physical condition and would like to use this sport to get back in shape. Where and how should I start?

Last edited by jtj0026; 01-10-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Free Swimmer

defjack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie

Where do you live? Do you want to fish bays or open ocean? Jack
Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Baitfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjack View Post
Where do you live? Do you want to fish bays or open ocean? Jack
I am in between LA and OC Counties in Southern California. I think I will satrt with Bay then progressively open ocean if ever dare to do so.

Is there any good locations (bays) good for bass, sea bass, hali, even cuda and bonito fishing in LA and Orange Counties?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

Newport Bay, Redondo, Cabrillo, Dana Point, Marina del Rey, Huntington Harbor, Alamitos Bay(Long Beach) , etc. And of course, San Diego with a gazillion spots! Follow this board and some excursions will come up! Join us! Piranha
Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Baitfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
Follow this board and some excursions will come up! Join us! Piranha
I wish I can join you but don't even have a Kayak, yet. Can I rent one at most of the mentioned harbors above?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Newbie

Welcome to the forum and possibly the sport What I usually recommend is that if you're going to see if you would like to kayak and kayakfish for fun and health, you may want to go to your doc and get the ticker checked and let him/her know what activity you're considering participating in. Some folks that have joint or shoulder problems sometimes run into problems paddling a kayak. Along those lines, most kayaks weight about 50-75lbs that usually have to be loaded and unloaded, often to and from the top of a vehicle.

Alot of guys just get the kayak and learn how to paddle one after they get it, and others like myself took some classes that I think were a good idea in retrospect. I took a basic Sit-On-Top class from Paddle power Kayaks located in Balboa, two traditional kayak touring classes and my surf-zones class from Southwind Kayaks located in Irvine. All were good stuff and very informative. Other people give classes, but these were the ones I took and can recommend them to others.

Local kayak shops I can think off off the top of my head might be Extremeline Sports I believe (?) it's called in San Pedro, Sunset Rentals (Cobra dealer) in Sunset Beach, Malibu Kayaks (Malibu Kayaks dealer) right across the cove from Sunset Rentals also in Sunset Beach, Paddle Power Kayaks in Balboa(Hobie Kayaks, Ocean Kayak, Necky dealer), Southwind Kayaks in Irvine (hobie, wilderness systems, perception and other traditional kayaks dealer) UP Sports in Dana Point (cobra dealer) and another Hobie dealer at Dana Point Harbor that I can never remember the name of. Advice? Try as many brands and models to see what feel right for you. Just as the same pair of shoes will not be for everyone, kayaks are also the same way.

For locations to fish, there’s alot. Kings Harbor and the surrounding area, Cabrillo Beach, Cherry Beach area, Naples, Newport Harbor and surrounding areas, Dana Point Harbor and surrounding areas, Oceanside and a few more. These are all locations with easy launches. Most will hold some bass like calico, sandies and spotties. Halibuts are also pretty good. Outside cudas are a good bet, but the bonies are a scratch. The warm water discharge from the power plant is no more, so Kings Harbor isn't like it used to be in it's hay-day.

For kayaks, you can rent them at the waters edge with out needing to transport them at Paddlepower kayaks in Balboa, Sunset Rentals & Malibu Kayaks in Sunset Beach, and Southwind Kayaks rental locations, which are in Newport Harbor and Dana Point part of the year. There are probably others I missed, but these should be able to get you going. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 01-09-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: forgot Southwind
Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Baitfish

Thanks PerryC for the warnings, advices, and information... that's exactly what I am looking for. The idea of kayak fishing is great but my main concern is my ability of handling the weight of the kayak... lifting 60LB onto/off the top of a car roof can be challenging since I am short and don't have a pair of strong arms... could get injury from doing it. I will discuss with my MD and seek one or two professional instruction classes first before deciding to proceed or not.

Thaks,

John
Old 01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

I'm in my 60's and started kayaking last March with a 70 plus pound Hobie. Did several of the things Perry recommended including class and 2 rentals before purchase. One heigth-challenged person I know puts his Hobie kayak INSIDE his small SUV so that he does not have to lift to top of rig. There are ways to do most things - but do check health. Even that may not stop you - rather require a very slow start and easy launch.

Some of the Hobies pedal as well as paddle. That lets me use larger thigh muscles to move the kayak WHILE I hold and cast my rod. It also allows me to switch off and paddle for a while to get better exercise for upper body and go much farther.

I fish Dana Point and Newport Bay most but will do Huntington Harbor and Long Beach soon. 25 trips last year on the new yak.

Steve@seaslug.com
Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Baitfish

Hi SeaSlug,

Thanks for the encouragement. I visited a windsurf & kayak shop at Belmont Shore today and got educated by the shop keeper. She also let me watch a short video clip of how Hobies work. I too am interested in Hobie Mirage Series which can be powered by legs and arms. The models she recommended based on my size and need were the 48-pound Sport model (the smallest 9' model) and the runner up Revolution model (longer and a bit heavier). She also introduced several equipments designed to ease the lifting of a kayak onto the rooftop of a vehicle. I feel relief about my concern of the weight issue.

I have some questions for you. Based on what you stated, why did you choose a big Hobie with 70+ pounds of weight? What's the advantages of a larger kayak and disadvantages of a small kayak? If eventually I will try open ocean, does the size matter? Did you get to stay dry everytime you went out? And how's fishing in Dana Point Harbor and Newport Bay?

Thanks again for replying.

John
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

I'm an older guy(over 60), sedentary, (a teacher), and I can put my yak up no prob. I take off a coupla hatches to lighten it and give me a place to grab when I lift it up onto my van!~(the Fishmobile!)! We use wheeled kayak carts to pull the yaks back and forth from the sea. It's not a big deal. In general , wider yaks are slower and more stable, skinny yaks are faster and more tippy! I have a Fish n Dive , slow, but very stable as a fishing platform! You can see it(and me!) in my avatar. I also have a Malibu Pro 3 Tandem. A wee bit narrower and faster, but still quite stable! On the tandem I sit amidships in the yak so I don't get the Italian Gondola look! Piranha