All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report 6/25

The tide was low when we launched at 6:30 A.M. It was overcast and warm.

I just put a new rudder on and was trying it out for the first time. We paddled straight out to the main channel beyond the sailboats in 40 ft of water. There was a pretty good breeze coming out of the North. We had a good drift going right down the main channel.

We started hooking up right away on the Gulp shrimp dropshot. These were some quality spotties. Very few dinks today. We drifted under the bridge and really started to nail some big ones!

I tried the 3" nuclear chicken on a 1/2 oz leadhead. It was working so good I put the dropshot rod up. We made several drifts from the bridge to Nasco and we were just killing the big bass! The best thing was that there was nobody
else fishing the area! There was supposed to be a tournament up at Shelter Island today. I guess everybody must have been fishing up there. If we were in the tournament and were landing the kind of bass that we were landing today we would have been in the money for sure. About 9:30 we were going to try the flat. Unfortunately the wind kicked up big time! It was blowing 15 +
mph easy. We were paddling right into it. There was a lot of chop and white caps. We passed on the flat and went over to Glorietta Bay and took a breather on the beach. The water was 76 degrees today. We fished around the sailboats for a little while. I got a dink sandie and a 12"yfc. We called it a day a little after 11:00. I ended up with 27 spotties all but 5 of those were over 13 inches,3 dink sandies, and 1 yfc. All fish released. Hot lure today for me was the 3" gulp nuclear chicken on a 1/2 oz leadhead fished on the bottom while drifting, Absolutely deadly! Jackie and Bob caught some nice fish today as well. As always it was great fishing with you guys again! The new rudder worked fantastic! Without that rudder today I would have been in trouble! It makes the Tarpon 140 a pleasure to paddle. I will never get another kayak without a rudder again! On the way home we stopped off at the Mardi Gras Cafe for sandwiches. That place has some damn good food! Another great day, with great friends, on the water in beautiful San Diego Bay!

Robert
Old 06-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report 6/25

Great Report Robert, that last spottie looks pretty decent size!

Some friends of mine were fishing that tourney down there today, lots of talent in that one!

Ed
Old 06-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Ed,
It was a good day for big fish. Almost all of them were that size today! It was sick fishing!

Robert
Old 06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Robert,
Thanks for the report. I pulled a 7 day stretch last week but look forward to getting out this week So thats the nuke eh? I thought it would have a third eye like the San Onofre Bass...I'll give you a ring later. Take Care,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube