All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Shelter Island 6/4 Bonefish!!

We launched at 6:15 A.M. It was foggy and chilly. We weren't about to try to fish the channel this morning. The plan was to head down to Harbor Island/ MCRD fishing along the way. We stopped at the Bali Hai Shoal and started hammering the spotties right from the first cast!

It was a good mix of fish with many nice ones like this guy.
Then somthing picked up my Gulp new penny shrimp. I could tell right away that this was no spottie. This thing put up a hell of a fight. It took a while before I could bring it to color. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

A bonefish! My first one from San Diego Bay! I finaly landed it. It was going ballistic in my kayak. That fish was all muscle. Strong as hell for his size. He was hard to pick up because he was so strong and slimey that he could have gone overboard any second. I was lucky to get this picture before I let him go. What a awesome fish! We were still hammering the spotties.

We had some variety today. Along with the bass and bonefish Jackie caught this needlefish. It was wide open fish a cast fishing on the shoal for over an hour! I also landed a short halibut around 16 inches and Bob got a bat ray.
The fog never lifted and it was almost drizzeling. The wind was picking up
so we made a move into the marina next to the sportboat basin. We fished in between the boats for a few bass. It was calm in the marina at least. Hardly any wind. We called it a morning around 9:30. It was an awesome day on the water! The fishing in San Diego Bay lately has been on fire! Next weekend I'll be freshwater fishing. I doubt the fishing will be as good as it was today.

Robert
Old 06-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shelter Island 6/4 Bonefish!!

Robert,

Outstanding catch on the bonefish, way to go!!

I've caught bonefish down in Belize before and man, can those things pull.

Looks like fishing is picking up everywhere, the water off Oceanside yesterday was 65-68 degrees with lots of bonies and barracuda breezing thru all areas, big bass busting bait on the surface and tons of bait in the water.

Heard reports today of paddies loaded with yellowtail a short distance of the beach.

Ed
Old 06-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shelter Island 6/4 Bonefish!!

Hey Robert,

What a great weekend of catching! Watching you catch that bonefish was awesome.

Thanks for showing a couple of kayak newbies the ropes.

Bob & Jackie