All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Ocean Kayaks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Most of you who are reading this have already seen the shots on the net of the new kayak being introduced by Ocean Kayak, the Prowler Big Game. It looks in the same class as the Cobra Fish-N-Dive and the Malibu Kayaks xFactor. And from what I have seen, it looks like a very well thought out kayak that should do well for anglers.

Below are a few photos of it:

This looks like maybe Jeff Krieger from Rhynobar in the near kayak, maybe Jim Sammons in the middle kayak, and MO in the far kayak. Jeff is a pretty good sized guy, so you can see how the kayak will fit someone over 6 feet tall and about 250lbs and above.

The cockpit view shows the business end of things. First is the ample size front hatch which is nice for sliding rods and fish below deck. Next is the mounting area in front of the anglers feet for mounting your Rhynobar, or Scotty triple bar or anything else you can come up with. Up front also are 2 round flats for rod holders like flush mounts, scottys or ram mounts. The console lid flips up exposing a storage tray or keeping commonly used smaller items in front of you within easy reach. Moving rearwards a first for OK is the hatch directly in front of the seat bucket which is ultra handy for frequently used items. In back of the seat bucket are 2 round flats for flush mounted rod holders, then the familiar tankwell setup from the prowlers. The storage container holder and ample tankwell. And one of the items I like most even in a kayak this size is the ability to install a rudder. While open for extended debates if one actually needs a rudder or not, I like them when the side winds come up causing most kayaks to weathercock, or while offshore or doing extended drifts.

If you want to paddle one or put your hands on one in the Los Angeles or Orange Counties, Paddle Power Kayaks in Newport Beach has them in stock and can be reached at 949-675-1215, or in Los Angeles Xstreamline Sports in San Pedro also has them and can be reached at 310-514-9514.

I am also going to be getting one to demo, and will be using it to fish from very soon. If you want to wet a line, I could bring it and let you use it to fish from so you can see first hand how they are. If you want to try this out, please email or PM me here. TC&TL,
PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 08-01-2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: speling