All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie

The small Hobie is rated to about 240 pounds. I weigh almost that much and carry probably 50 pounds of gear and water (live bait tank with battery and about 40 pounds of water) plus tackle, etc.

The small Hobie would ride VERY low in the water.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Free Swimmer

cashe is on a distinguished road

There is a Hobie dealer in Dana Harbor, that probably will let you try a small, and bigger kayak so you can compare them.He is right on the water. If you plan on going outside of the bays, you will want the larger size kayak. I'm 63, and weigh 230. I bought my kayak to get in shape, and it's starting to work.I like it so much that I now own two.One is a Malibu Pro 2, it is 13ft. long. I use it to fish with my grandson, the other is a 15ft. Malibu Extreme, that I realy like, because it's faster. I have no problem loading them by myself. In the last 4 years I've had 6 operations on my legs,so you know I'm not in the best of shape, but getting better. Hope to see you out there soon.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Newbie

John,
Glad to see I didn't disuade you from trying out the sport. It is pretty cool Hobie's are top notch kayaks, but there may be a few more to try if you're looking at the smaller or lighter models that are right about 45-50lbs in weight and 10' to 12' in length. Cobra makes a few, the Escape and Navigator you may want to look at. Ocean Kayak makes the Scrambler XL, Caper and Prowler13 that be in the neighborhood of what you may like. Malibu Kayaks makes the Pro Explorer which also deserves a look and Wilderness Systems makes a 10 foot and 12 foot Tarpon you may be interested in. All in their own rights well built kayaks that are also very fishy should you decide to wet a line. These aren't the only ones which may be right for you, just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Please let us know where you're at with your selection and what your impressions may be of those you have tried. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 01-13-2007, 04:50 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

If you are worried about being able to handle your Kayak don't be. My Father started at age 64 and paddled from 15th ST in Newport out to the entrance on his first trip out (5 or 6 miles I think). He has had both knee and shoulder replacement surgery. You can bring a fishing crate with you and rent a kayak at Paddle Power on 15th and Balboa in Newport and go out and fish the harbor. You can get some great Ideas for a fishing crate in the rigging section on this board. The owner of Paddle Powr, Jim Smily, will take you out and give you a class on kayak basics and let you try out several models. If you need some one to go with just let me know I am available most Sudays and I would be happy to join you to help get you started.

Last edited by Incredible; 01-13-2007 at 04:58 AM. Reason: add atachment
Old 01-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Baitfish

smallmouth is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I'm from southern Ontario, Canada where hardly anyone fishes from a sit on top kayak. Many years ago I bought a sit in kayak and have used it for fishing and camping excursions with a great deal of enjoyment. Today I am going to pick up a new Tarpon 120 and will enter the world of sit-on top kayak fishing. I will need help with rigging suggestions.

I also really enjoy fishing stillwaters with my Outcast Fat Cat float tube which I have rigged with a strap on Hummingbird Piranahmax20 with the transducer hanging off the pointed end mounted on an eight inch piece of pool noodle. I used a sealed gel cell battery and store it in one of the Fat Cat pockets. This is very uncomplicated but it works.

I would like to be able to switch the finder back and forth between yak and tube especially since I may actually pack or tow the float tube along on extended trips. Anybody use an easily removeable system for their FF's? I guess I could buy an extra transducer for the yak but I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks!

This picture will show how I got the bug for a more efficient fishing kayak. I could not believe how well this borrowed Pungo Classic performed on the water.