All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Bluefin

fishslayer23 is on a distinguished road
Default Tie it All Down !

Met tubeN2 at Broad Beach Rd this 6 AM. The water was really narly with rip tides. TubeN2 suggested we go north to Summerland and go kick some butts. It was a nice and easy beach launch just like TubeN2 said it would be. I went outside to the kelp and first off tried to make some bait. It was slow making even with using soaked dried anchovies(Japanese markets carry bags)as a chum line. I tried most of my arsenal and found gulp shrimp and mullet the best on 3/8 lead heads. Caught and released many white fish and had a strong butt bite. Looked up and saw TubeN2 going in so I followed and It was a good thing I did. The tide was changing. I buttoned down everything except my fishing rods which were attached to leashes and in the holders. Big mistake. I made my approach and made the first wave when bam I got hit with a second ripping wave that flipped me over. I finally got wet, it was a long two year run without any mishaps. When you go yaking plan on getting wet that goes with the sport. Broke one of my oldest Diawa graphite rods and lost my back up glasses. What hurt the most was my pride. Many thanks to TubeN2 for good suggestions and the help with some of the gear. It was a fun time and hope to go out again soon with a Pro like TubeN2.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tie it All Down !

Read your post and the memories came flooding back. I made my first launch at La Jolla last summer and got hammered by a wave, dumping the yak, fishing gear, and the poor shmuck (me ) inside. Just by a strike of luck, my paddle leash became wrapped around the poles and they were saved. I travel light so there wasn't much tackle lost. It was enough to keep me out of the water for the day. Even the pea-shooter waves are more than capable of flipping any yak. Even though the paddle leash save my rods, I later learned that having the paddle leashed in the surf zone can create a dangerous situation. Lesson learned.

Hank

Old 07-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Home Guard

Jim Sammons of La Jolla Kayak Fishing has an informative article concerning Surf Launchings. Check it out here.

Hank

Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough

That's a good article, Hank.

There have been days when the fishing was slow and I have decided to spend a little time in the waves. I go in and drop my gear, then go back out and try a little of everyhing. It's a great way to get more comfortable with your boat. Take a few waves broadside. Punch through a few going out and even try surfing a few, which doesn't work very well, but it definitely gives you a better idea of what to expect.

I like what the article said about planting your paddle in the base of the wave if you come in broadside. It really helps.

Days when it's been hot out on the water, getting clobbered by a few waves can be a nice way to cool down, too!

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Home Guard

I should have done a few dry runs without gear to better prep myself. Hopefully some other yakers will see posts like this one before heading out in the surf. These forums provide great tips for the novice to the expert!

Hank

Old 07-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Tie it All Down !

FS23,
Welcome to the forums

My first kayak had small hatches on it, so I didn't have the option to stow my rods below deck like I do now. What I used to do was remove the reels and put them below or in a dry bag. Then I would take a small piece of cord and tie the rods down to some deck loops I installed on the deck of the kayak. They're still exposed, but they are laying down instead of standing up at a 90 degree angle. Very good idea with the extra sunglasses. I always carry an extra pair also, but fishing partners have seemed to wear them more when they forget or lose theirs.

The guys are right on about playing in waves with your kayak or whatever watercraft one launches in the surf. It never hurts to have some practice. I took a kayak surf zones class from southwind kayaks down in Irvine,CA. I think they still offer them also if you're interested. It was "Good Stuff" as they say. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Baitfish

markb is on a distinguished road

I had an interesting mishap last weekend I dont want to repeat it but it made for a good story to friends. On my maiden fishing trip with my new kayak, I couldn't retrieve some tackle I wanted under my center hatch it had shifted to the stern. After trying some pelvic thrust type movements to coax the tackle box forward I decided land on the beach inside the bay I was fishing. Got lined up 90 degrees to the small 1 - 2 foot waves waited for the last wave of the set and paddled hard to the sand. when I went to pop out of my boat i found i had trapped my swim trunks in the center hatch. The few seconds it took to open the hatch and free myself I was hit by the next set. The first wave spun 45 degrees the next broke over and I got soaked. lesson learned !
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Barnacle Bob

Mark,

That's a great story and very funny, if you weren't the guy there!

Kayak fishing rule # 100: Always know where your shorts are!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

You never know when you might flip over. I flipped my Tarpon in San Diego Bay
when the water was almost like glass. I hadn't flipped in years and got over confident. I didn't see any need to have leashes on my rods. After all nothing
could possibly happen on flat calm water with almost zero boat traffic, right?
Wrong! I lost 2 of my favorite spinning setups and a lot of tackle. I have leashes on all of my rods when I go out now. No matter where it is.

Robert
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Barnacle Bob

Robert,

I did the same thing a few months ago. It's the only time I flipped for no particular reason. I blamed myself, but now that I see it happened to you, I think it must be our Tarpons! Maybe we should check for a recall notice?

I guess for all of us, the movements we make in the boats become very deliberate and without thinking about it, you always maintain your center of gravity. Normally!

I was fishing the edge of the kelp beds. I swung my legs around to sit sideways. As I did, I leaned back like you would if you were swinging around on a park bench, or something like that. It all happened in a second. I was wearing a wet suit and sitting in a little water, so maybe it was easier to slide. Anyhow, As I swung around, I leaned back, slid over the gunnel, my feet hit the bottom of the boat and kicked it the rest of the way over.

On the bright side, it was the first time I really tested my PFD and wet suit. I was warm and bobbed back up like a cork. When I went to right the boat, it turned about half way and stopped. I thought, "Man, this is weird!" Then I looked to the stern and saw that one of my rods was hung in the kelp. I cleard the rod and it was very easy to flip the yak and get back on board. I lost one rod and reel. Happily, it was some of my less expensive gear, so I think it was a cheap lesson learned.