All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Free Swimmer

StocktonDon is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody fishing the Hobie Mirage drive?

Anybody fishing the Hobie Mirage drive?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:15 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anybody fishing the Hobie Mirage drive?

Stockton Don,
Welcome to the board. I know "Big-O" does, and I think "Hobie Fisherman" probably does as well. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Free Swimmer

Default Re: Kelp encounters with the Hobie Mirage drive?

I just got a Hobie Adventure and wonder how the Mirage drive handles kelp encounters. Best practices? Comments? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Baitfish

Big O is on a distinguished road

Hi StocktonDon,

I have only been out about four times with the Hobie (outback), but I did get hung up once in the kelp! It was no problem at all, just lift the drive up a few inches and the kelp slips off the flippers! Then I just used the paddle to get out of the kelp area. Once out, put the paddle away and start pedaling!

Remember, always keep your worm wet
Old 05-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Free Swimmer

Thanks.

My maiden voyage in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta involved going over some dead tule mats and other floating vegetation.. A few things did get hung on the fins (the pedals were on the keeper so the fins were close to the hull). I found paddling forward a few times shed most things, and backing up got rid of everything else. I will have to try pulling the dirve up - good idea!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

Fishing through Eel grass at low tide you may as well pull the drive and paddle. I changed to the new, high performance fins and they are about 2 inches longer and more sharp angles. I think they hang up more.

Guy I saw (works for Hobie) says they have again modified the high performance fins and shortened them some.

I am not certain whether they are set up right - have mine tightened down tight and they push hard and move the yak fast. Very definite exercise.

I'm looking for someone to fish with out of Dana Point or Newport Bay or ??? I live in Tustin.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Smile Re: Anybody fishing the Hobie Mirage drive?

Seaslug,
to our boards. I live over in Anaheim and fish from Kings Harbor to about Dana Point most often. Besides that, I usually hit San Diego every month or so. Are you available for afternoon trips or just morning ventures on weekends? Now that summer will be over this weekend, I'll launch at Coast Guard beach in Newport which puts you close to the mouth of the harbor to head outside if that is in order. I'll contact you by PM after the holiday and let you know about any newport or dana trip I'll be doing. TC&TL,

Perry

Old 09-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

I can fish morning or afternoon. There are times when I cannot go and times when I am out of town but I will be available most times. Call me up til 10pm night before 760-672-7607 (cell)

Coast Guard just about kills me coming back in. I have to stop and rest 2 or three times coming in. Used the original plastic wheels and then the balloon tires - both dig into the sand so much it is very hard to pull. The sand is so soft there.

Do you have any good ideas? I know I could get the big plastic wheels but then I would have to walk them back to the van. I would not mind if I had some one to watch my gear.

Baby Beach is a breeze for launch and retrieval but it takes me about 15 minutes longer to get there. It is a much longer run to the end of the breakwater.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Smile Re: Anybody fishing the Hobie Mirage drive?

Seaslug,
I hear what you're saying about most carts just not handling soft sand like we need when pulling a 70lb kayak across it. Have you seen or tried these Hobie Trax wheels? I heard they're a new item Hobie is selling.

They would utilize the scupper holes, but I believe Hobie's are reinforced with extra plastic around them. I haven't seen one of the Trax carts in person, so I don't know how wide the tires are compared to a Roleez cart, which has the widest low pressure tires I know of up to this point at least. By the tires in the photo though, they may be using roleez tires on them, or something like them at least. Roleez carts are nice, but I think they're way overpriced at about $170, and I've had to replace a set of bearings already because they cracked.

Roleez tires adapted to another make of cart:

Hope this helps,
Perry

Old 09-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Free Swimmer

dwest is on a distinguished road

Why don't you go out on the penninsula and launch from on of the mini beaches between the houses? K Street?