All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Free Swimmer

Paddle and Flies is on a distinguished road
Default Yaking the Delta

Launched from Lundborgs yesterday at about 2;00 pm. The tide was moving out. I didn’t waste any time fishing in front of the marina so I stuck my paddle in the water and didn’t stop paddling till I got past the wall. Not only was the tide outgoing it was also a full moon while not my favorite time to fish I was in a kayak so when they’re not biting I simply enjoy the ride. Beside any time you can fish is a good time to fish. Now if the traffic’s not agreeable my ride to the Delta can be as long as three hours. Once I’m on the water and I see the miles of tules and grass beds a heaven for bass, large mouth and striped …every mile of the drive is worth it.
I paddle and pedaled till I got past the rock and tule wall to the first opening to open water. I made my first cast a little before the old abandon party boat. It was my third cast that the bass ate my chartreuse and yellow Dahlberg. My first bass of the day was about twelve inches of altitude shaped like a football. After that I pedaled along the tules casting to openings and any other promising spots.
After a while the tules got denser and what I though where promising spots and openings was inside the tules!

So…I paddled in among the tules and the tule soup. Picking out what I thought look like an opening in the soup actually it was about a twelve inch diameter hole at best. I did what I thought was an ok under handed swing maybe four different times before it landed in the hole.

Something smacked the Dahlberg right away but it didn’t take. I maintained control and did not yank my fly out of the hole. Now about this time things were getting intense, the tule soup around the hole was moving up and down, just before it erupted like a geyser.
Now I had about ten feet of line out at the most. My 9 wt was bucking like a rodeo bronco, getting bent into the letter U and my tiptop was going in and out of the water. Until I finally saw the bass I was thinking double digit but once I lifted it in to the yak and saw the only thing that was double digit was its length, which was about 14 inches.
After releasing the bass I realized I’d implanted my self in the tules I then had back out the way I was drug in. I paddle on till I saw more holes in the soup back among the tules and then repeated the same scenario two more time with two more fish. I’m now toying with the thought of calling my yak the Tule Rat. After getting my fill of swinging my fly in the tules I paddled out on to open water and som grass beds. Not hard to find in the Delta. As I got to the grass beds I stood up so I could do some scouting. What I saw was large holes among the grass beds and in those holes was tons of bluegill and where they are…bass are. That theory became fact my first cast into one of the holes with another twelve inches of Delta attitude. This scenario…was repeated several more times. All and all despite an outgoing tide and a full moon I’d had one of the best days of fly-fishing from a kayak for bass in my life. e

Kevin Doran is right the Delta is the best bass fishery in the world however there is no way I’m going to use a seven wt for that kind of fishing, an eight wt maybe.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Yaking the Delta

Rickey,
Thanks for the report on the delta and your trip. The dahlberg looks pretty nice also. Did you tie that one? I'm busy playing catch-up now for the next few months, but look forward to being able to do some overnighters up north, and the delta for some bass fishing would be great.

Which kayak were you in? Do you still have the X-Factor with you? TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Free Swimmer

Hey Perry,
I never had an X factor. I still have the Extreme though.
I was paddling and pedaling a Hobie Adventure I go back and forth between that a tarpon 160 and a Wenonah solo canoe that paddles really good with a kayak paddle. I tie my on flies. The Dalhberg's my favorite topwater and a little below the surface fly. However there are other techniques you can do with it.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Rickey,
Cool on the bass. I had a chance to fish from a canoe in Colorado when I was there a few years ago. It was different than I thought it was going to be, but I can see where one could really get into using one for fishing

Hows the guiding going? You keeping busy enough?? TC&TL,
Perry

Old 08-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Free Swimmer

Hey Perry, It's picking up now that I've started guided on the Delta.
Solo canoes because of where their seat are located- in the middle like a kayak can be paddle like a kayak , as long as the canoe is narrow enough.
You and Scott have got to make another trip to the Delta with me.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Rickey,
I'm sure we'll be seeing you up there. I would still like to fish the delta for bass for a few days at a stretch. Frank's Tract was nice, but maybe find some different accomodations next time. The camping wasn't bad, but the bog god a bit old after the first day,LOL.

PerryC.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Free Swimmer

I found what I think is a better Marina or launch, a place called Lundboags. At least you can get to good water a whole lot quicker. As far as camping goes. It's pretty much the same all over it's Rv type camping. Bring more padding to sleep on you big baby. You're there for the Delta. I know the waters a lot better than the first time.