All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Baitfish

willjr is on a distinguished road
Default First Kayak

I am considering buying a Manta Ray 12, which are about $900.00 , but someone suggested checking out the Perception 12.5 Caster that Dicks Sporting goods sells. It retails for $599.00, but is on sale now for $499.00
I have read a lot of good things about the Manta Ray 12, especially the seat being so comfortable. I have read that the manta ray is not very quiet though, I guess that is not that important.
I have not heard as much about the Perception 12.5 Caster though.
I primarily want to use it for fishing at falls lake in Raleigh, NC.
Maybe someday take it in the sound at the coast.
Could someone help me make a decision.
I did read that the Perception has a tendency to have a wet seat due to the scupper holes .
Would both boats hold up just as well as the other? Are they both made of the same material. Does one track better than the other?

Thanks for any advise you can offer this newbie.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Barracuda

baitcasterboy20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Kayak

the perception is an ok kayak. you can always change out the seat, if it really bothers you. a lot of kayaks that i know let water in through the scupper holes, so don't just think it is that kayak. for example emotion kayaks let water through their scupper holes. these kayaks do track very well that i have heard through many diffrent reports

the manta ray is also a good yak. i would pick the manta ray, because it is overall the better yak. it is a little shorter but you can't tell the diffrence. even though it's heavier, it is still good. the seat if obviously more comfortable. (since the caster 12.5 doesn't have a padded seat). the manta ray you do sit down a little more in it. so if you wanted to really be on water level, the perception is the way to go.

all together i would take the manta ray, but get more reviews from local places, and on the internet.