All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default La Jolla - 7/5

We had the day off so Jackie & I decided to fish L.J. The launch was easy and only a couple of other yakers out there. We trolled around for a while without any success. So we headed to the kelp bed for some calicos, got thick into the kelp and got a couple of bites. Made another move to the outside edge of the beds and finally stuck one.

Got a sculpin a little later and that was it for the morning. Didn’t look like anyone else was catching anything and everyone was off the water 11 or earlier. Don’t know what’s going on with L.J. the last couple times we’ve fished there it’s been really slow. Guess we just need to spend more time on the water before it pays off.

BC
Old 07-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: La Jolla - 7/5

Thanks for the report guys! It's hard to figure out what's going on with La Jolla.
With the water temp pushing 70 degrees you would think the fishing would be off the hook. Unfortunately it stinks! This has been kind of a funny year
for the local fishing. Here's hoping it gets better.

Robert
Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough

Howdy all,

I had the same sort of luck in the kelp beds off of Cabrillo last week. Just before the water really started to warm, it seemed like fishing was better than ever, but not as good the last time out. Seemed odd to me!

Changing subjects, I read some of you guys talking about spinners which I have never tried, so I picked a few up and thought I'd try them out tomorrow morning at Cabrillo. I have two white and two chartreuse. 1 ounce and 1/2 ounce. They have plastic streamers with some silver mylar. I got single and double spinners. My plan was to cast around the edges of the kelp. I also have Hot Sauce for the first time, so I thought I'd slather a little on (the lures, I prefer the sun block) and see what happens. Sometimes I swab my swimbait around in squid juice, but never tried anything prepared, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

I hope this isn't too far off the subjects for this post. Any advice on the spinners would be appreciated.

BTW, I've had more time to read through some of the archived posts. Great stuff. Thanks, eh?

Good fishing!

TG
Old 07-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Tarpon Guy,
As you probably know, I am a huge fan of spinnerbaits. A couple of things:

1. 1/2 oz spinnerbaits are just OK for the bay. 3/4oz & 1 oz work much better
because they stay in the strike zone. The lighter spinnerbaits run at a much shallower depth on the retrieve. More times than not this depth is out of the strike zone for the bass.

2. Chartreuse will out fish white. Stick with chartreuse.

3. Willow blades are the way to go! Colorado, Indiana, and other types of blades don't even come close!

4. Definitely use scent on all of your lures. I'm not talking once every hour. Definitely after every 3 or 4 casts. Not 1 or 2 drops either. Load it up every time! All over the skirt, and especially the blades! The blades throw the scent
all over the place!

5. The retrieve. Cast your spinnerbait out. I use a 15-20 lb 7 ft medium heavy
freshwater bass outfit. Let it sink to different depths before you start your retrieve. On the edges of the kelp this can be deadly! Keep the retrieve slow.
You want to just get the speed where that willow blade will just be thumping!
That drives the fish absolutely crazy!

6. Don't overlook trolling with that spinnerbait. Throw that spinnerbait out, put the rod in the rod holder, and start paddling. Not too fast though. Remember what I said about the retrieve? Just enough to get the blades "thumping".

By far, without a doubt, the spinnerbait that works the best for me is the Strike King Premier Pro 3/4 oz chartreuse model. It has a big willow blade and
a chartreuse with mylar skirt. The only place I have been able to find these baits is at Bass Pro Shops on line. THEY WORK CONSISTENTLY! Not only on
all 3 species of bass. Cuda, halibut, shark, sculpin, rockfish, and especially bonito will absolutely murder that spinnerbait. The strike on that spinnerbait is by no means subtle. It's more like stepping out into the freeway and having a big rig hitting it doing 80 mph. Give them a try. They have become my #1 confidence bait.

Robert
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough

Thanks Robert.

That's a good description. Even if I didn't fish I'd go buy some of those bad boys!

I'll check in with a spinnerbait report tomorrow.

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"