All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Rods

I like short butt rods (12"-13") so that they do not get in my way on the kayak.

Okuma talks about the value of long-butt rods for kayak fishing. I know that they have some value (16"-18") by putting them under your armpit for leverage (not a coffee-grinder) but they just get in the way when going around the kayak for instance. They are also awkward casting from a sitting position.

Trigger grip handles just do not have the leverage for the larger fish (IMHO). Even a sand bass or spottie was beating me up on my short-grip rod.

From a standing position you are "supposed" to have a flipping rod butt come just to the back of your elbow when you are holding the reel for casting. For tuna and larger fish you would use the longer butt to use leverage under your arm at shoulder or in rod belt with you holding the foregrip (or railing the foregrip).

any thoughts?

steve
Old 07-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Rods

SS,
I have the 12"-14" rod butt length on the rods I use on my kayak. I use alot of Shimano's for my trigger sticks for bassing, one of their Terramar series for the 300 I have, and my halibut stick has a 13" butt on it plus a trigger grip that takes a Newell 220 on it. My other sticks are run of the mill Penn's that I got on sale with the standard 12 inch butt grip.

I'm not sure about the Okuma rods because I've never used one for a day on the kayak or to haul in some fish with. Like yourself, I would have to try one to really form any opinion about them. If I ever do use one, I'll be sure to let you know . TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Predator

Swampchicken will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rods

Seaslug,
Not too sure you mean Okuma that was pressing the longer butted rods. Our new Baidarka Kayak Rods have the shortened butt with the rod leash attachment. I know Quantum kayak series has an extended butt section, but not ours. We have an extended foregrip and a fast action for better leverage from the seated position along with hardened guides to prevent breakage while sliding rods in and out of hatches as well as a lifetime warranty. And best of all........THEY FLOAT!

Davey

Life is like a box of plastics, you never know which one to toss.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rods

My bad - It probably was Quantum - at the Fred Hall Show.

Steve
Old 07-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Rods

Davey,
They sound pretty nice. All of the features you mention are definite pluses on a kayak rod. The hardened rod guides for reducing stowage mishaps, the rod leash rind and especially the ability to float .

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube