All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Baitfish

Recovery Two is on a distinguished road
Default Landing the Lunkers

I have been an avid Bass fisherman for about 30 years. I have fished out of every type of boat to mention. I have just purchased a Dirigo 106 kayak to fish from. I have learned that I have some learning to do. I have had two very large bass on when fishing this creek channel with tons of cover in my Kayak. Both times these lunkers have swam to the kayak and wanted to take cover under to boat. I use IM8 graphite rods with baitcaster reels and have to hold on for life while fighting these monsters Now fighting these fish are a blast but two times they have got beside the boat and as I reached for them they have shook off the line. I have caught 8 lb Bass and these Bass made them look small. There seems that there will be a skill to develop in getting these monsters in the boat. I have not got the equation correct as yet. Anyone have any experience to share?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Landing the Lunkers

Welcome to our forums

Bass and fish in general will often try to go below your kayak and to the opposite side that you're fishing them from. Alot of us will use 7 foot rods so we can reach around the bow when this happens and keep the pressure on the fish at all times.

If the bass are good sized, a net may help at the critical moment when the bass are beside the boat and your setting them up to take control of them. What might be happening is you're letting the pressure off the hook when you get the bass alongside and they're able to spit the hook. When I bring in a bass or fish in general, I'll keep a few feet of line out and raise the rod in my left hand and bring the bass up that way and try to lip it or net it right away with my right hand. I try not to let a bass swim on the surface next to the kayak, they are pretty tricky and fast. If I get one I don't want, when I see what it is I'll lower the rod tip and give it some slack line and often it will release itself. Hope this helps,
PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Baitfish

swamprat is on a distinguished road

net net net

saved my catch many times cause i'm TOO SLOW
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

If you get the Promar-type net it is gentle on the fish and gives them nowhere to go. The larger-mesh nylon cord nets let small fish through and on juvenile halibut can "split" the tail. The split tail is just like when you pull spectra across your finger and it cuts - easy to get infected and takes forever to heal.

The net is quick and sure - sometimes fish just won't open their mouths for a lip-gripper.

Steve
Old 07-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Recovery Two,
I carry a Cabela's folding telescopic net. It has the small mesh that Sea Slug
was talking about. It folds up into a very compact package. They run around $20 for the 18" model. I have carried one with me for years and they work!

Robert

Cabela's Telescopic Nets