All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 03-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Baitfish

swamprat is on a distinguished road
Default Fish Finder

i've been yak fishing for 2 years ( saltwater- malibu )
I just subscribed but have been folowing this sight for a year.
I,m looking to mount a fish finder on my prowler 15ft.
i like the portable Humminbird PiranhaMax 215 Portable Fish Finder.
Any reviews? any suggestions?
i like the aa battery idea, i still wipe out to much
Old 03-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Home Guard

mg2969 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fish Finder

Check out your local Wal-Mart, they still have fishfinders on double clearance from last year. I picked up a Eagle Cuda 242 that had been on clearance for $65 and then marked down again to $49. I have not yet mounted it due to issues with my new Prowler 13, however I did run a baseline test.

I went to radio shack and purchased 2 different 8 AA battery holders for $1.99 each. The only difference is shape. One is rectangular and the other is square. Since I really haven't figured out how I want to mount it yet I figured on just purchasing both.

I also purchased a bag of 9 volt battery connectors ( yes I know 8 AAs produce more than 9 volts) . The battery holders have a 9 volt connector, so it makes the whole process easier.

Tied in the connector to the fishfinder cable and added a fuse (which comes with the fishfinder) in line. Added 8 fully charged Duracell 2500mAH AA batteries to the battery holder. Connected 9v connector. Powered up the Cuda and was showing steady and reliable 11V.

I successfully ran the fishfinder for 8 hours straight and the voltage had dropped to 10.3 V and was still going strong.

Since I both kayak with the wife and also fish on my own on days off I wanted to have a removable system. My current thought is to use the most forward cup holder and mount the batteries (square holder) in a watertight contatiner and FF right above it with the transducer cable going through the forward gaspachi hatch on the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road

The AA battery set works fine. I’ve been using somewhat the same battery set up. I’m paddling a Prowler 15 and have an Eagle 243 mounted on my deck. Got one 8 AA battery holder from Frys and place them in a dry bag inside the yak. Run the cord that connects to power to the fish finder through the front hatch and works like a charm. I’m using 2500mAH rechargeable batteries and never have any problems running out of power out fishing

Bob.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Predator

fishfinder has a spectacular aura about

GPS
It helps with keeping tract of where you found that drop off or where that kelp forest was last week Also where did i drop that last lobster net or my favorite is when you get stuck in fog where did i come from.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Baitfish

swamprat is on a distinguished road

this forum rocks, thanks guys

FISH-ON