All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Malibu Kayaks

Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Baitfish

Cambria Yak Fish Slayer is on a distinguished road
Question Malibu Mini-X

Has anybody tried Malibu's new Mini-X fishing yak? The small size & light weight are appealing to me.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Malibu Mini-X

Hey bro,

I have not tried one but, I started in a Prodigy 10.00 and i found it to be small and cramped. Smaller is easier but your most likely gonna want bigger sonner than later. This and my current yak are rec boats and Now I want a sit on top. So 1st the prodigy 10.0, now the pungo 120, next ????
hopefully a manta ray 12 SOT. Well I'm sure you see what I mean.

Tight lines and paddle well,

Jon
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Jon,
Try a bunch of different kayaks. That Cobra Marauder that Perry paddles is a really nice kayak. I know you like Wilderness Systems, seeing as how you have been paddling a Pungo 120. My Tarpon 140 is a really nice kayak once I put a rudder on it. I have some friends that have Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 and 15's. they really like their kayaks. Not everyone has mega bucks, but if you can afford it, the Hobie kayaks are fantastic. I really like the outback! The revolution is nice too. The whole point of this is: Try a bunch of different kayaks out on the water before you buy. Bring a crate with you and some gear to see how each kayak works out on the water for you.

Robert
Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Robert,

Trying out and patience have never been my strong suit. But I think its time to learn. This can be a pricey investment till you find the right boat. As much as I do really like my Pungo I now feel certain that "if I had really done the research" I would have ended up with a Manta Ray 12. My very first experience with a kayak was a open try out at lake perris. Sport Chalet brought a bunch of SOT Ocean kayaks to try. I thought cool, but after falling out in 25ft of water then bashing my face in trying to get back in I was like no open decks for me. Now this was 6 yrs ago and I'm sure the yaks are better designed now. But I have to look at they had no seats, cheap paddles and ill-fitting lifevests there. Not the best way to intro someone to kayaking. Right now the only reason I'm even thinking SOT is useable deck space and a rear area for bait tank etc. I like the "DRY" that my Pungo gives, I only get paddle drip for wetness. But then again I really need to hook up with you guys and learn about what is really working and the ideal set up. What I think I'm gonna do is just stay with the pungo for now. Southwind Kayaks is looking into carrying the Liquid Logic kayaks, maybe early next year?? If they do I'll most likely upgrade at that time. After getting info from all of you folks and your experiences maybe I'll end up in something different????

Sincerly,

Jon

jonee523

Pungo 120
next??????????
Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Jon,
You are going about it the right way. Take your time. That way you can make an intelligent well researched decision based on facts. When I was first getting into kayak fishing a lot of people told me I "HAD TO GET" this particular brand or model of kayak. I look at it like this: A kayak choice is a personal decision. What feels comfortable and works for one person, might not work for you. That's why I suggested several different brands and models that you might want to try out on the water. I made these suggestions based on my expierence and observations on the water in Southern California over the years. Beware of someone who tells you "This is the kayak you should buy". People told me that when I was starting out and they couldn't have been more wrong. The only way I found a kayak that I was comfortable with was by trying out several of them on the water. I would suggest you enter one of the P.N. tournaments that they will have on one of the bays. You will be able to talk to a lot of different kayak anglers about their kayaks and how they are working for them. Not only that, you can watch them up close on the water and see how they perform and how they are rigged. Lots of good info there.
It will shorten the learning curve considerably.

Robert

[img]http://www.allkayakfishing.com/photopost/data/500/medium/P10100011.
JPG[/img]

Robert
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

Southwind Kayaks is having an expo day at the Newport Dunes on June 2nd. They will have seminars most of the day and dozens of kayaks to look at and try out. Something like $8 plus parking. It would be worth taking the drive to see a lot of kayaks and talk to a lot of people about what they think.

Steve
Old 05-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Baitfish

diggy619 is on a distinguished road

if your from san diego, im selling my stone colored malibu mini x. its new condition not even a scratch... has 2 hatches a rectagular and circle shape hatch.. 2 flush monuted pole holders... with seat and paddle...for $450
Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Baitfish

Cambria Yak Fish Slayer is on a distinguished road

Why are you selling it??
Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Baitfish

diggy619 is on a distinguished road

i have also have a cobra fish n dive and i have no room to store my mini x ...
Old 10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Free Swimmer

JessicaParker is on a distinguished road

Wow, these kayaks look to be spectacular for the purpose of fishing, hoping for i can buy a similar looking one too up till if they are not expensive....