All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Fresh-Water Kayak Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Free Swimmer

Paddle and Flies is on a distinguished road
Default Double Haul In the Fall 06 report

I left Fresno about 11.30 am my destination was Mammoth Lakes. I drove up 41 into Yosemite then on to 120 and up over Tioga Pass. Then I headed south on 395. I enjoyed breathtaking scenery and had the hell scared out of me by treacherously high hairpin curves. I hate heights, a lot. 5:00 pm that evening I took the exit to Crowley Lake drove down to Fish Camp to pick up my paperwork for the Double Haul In the Fall Fly Fishing Tournament.
The Double Haul has been a popular Tournament for float tubing and pontoon boating fly fishers going on 14 years now. Three years ago I made the trip over the mountains for the 2003 Double Haul…the first Double Haul to be open to Canoes and Kayaks. Five other yakers and my self showed up for that 2003 tournament.
For the 2006 Double Haul I would be a judge. Saturday morning 6:00 I picked my paperwork and measuring board. An agreement had been made that I would do my judging from my kayak, as long as I did it in McGee Bay. By 7:30 I was sitting in the middle of McGee bay surrounded by float tubers and a few pontoon boats. Somewhere around 8:00 I measure the first fish a sixteen-inch Rainbow, a foot boat shaped beauty. By 9:30 I’d lost track of the fish I’d measured and I was deeply regretting the decision to be a judge. The biggest fish I measured was 17 1/2 inches, qualifying length was 18 inches. Another judge in a boat measured a 20 1/2 inch fish. Most of the winning fish came from the other tournament waters alligator point. The biggest fish of the day being a 23 inch Brown.
I was the only yaker at McGee Bay, I heard there where a few yakers casting flies at Alligator Point, I never to speak with them. Up until 11:00 the waters were smooth then the winds came and the water got rough quick. About 11:30 The tournament was called. I spoke to a couple of anglers at the dinner that said they caught their big fish after the water got rough. I spoke to a lot of angers…benefits of being a judge. The winning fish were caught on Hornbergs, and bugger patterns, about size 10’s and 8’s. Crowley trout are not leader shy. Most of the fish were caught in less than 12 feet of water.
At the dinner winners went away with fishing trips, fly rods. Gear, at least one kayak and full bellies. Now for any kayak fly fishermen or ladies this could be an excellent tournament and kayakers are more than welcome. Crowley Lake are excellent waters for the kayak and offers some of the best trout fishing in California. With legendary waters in the area like The Owens River, Hot Creek, June, Mono and Convict Lakes who knows how many others, Mammoth Lake’s is a Fly fisher’s Mecca I’ll be back next year as contestant not a judge. For those of you that like to fly fish for trout from a kayak this could be a prime destination.

Last edited by Paddle and Flies; 09-27-2006 at 12:05 PM.