All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Fresh-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Baitfish

Jacusmc18 is on a distinguished road
Default What is the best Kayak for a beginner

I new to the whole kayak adventure. I was wondering what would be the best kayak for fresh water fishing with out breaking the bank (i.e. under 500 bucks).
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Baitfish

Cameron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the best Kayak for a beginner

definitely don't buy anything just for transportation/storage means and definitely get a sit-on-top. Buy something you really think you'll be comfortable with and will suit your needs, then find a way to transport it and store it (but it is a giant piece of plastic, it can handle the elements pretty well). There's a lot that goes into whether long or shorter will be better- ignore that for now; if you plan on paddling lakes and slow rivers anything 8-11ft will be perfect. my first kayak was 8ft and I used it extensively on some pretty large lakes. As for brand, Future Beach, Emotion (my first kayak was an Emotion Spitfire ~$250), Perception are fine. Also, if you can get to a Bass Pro Shops their own line, "Ascension," is actually pretty nice too. Look around on the net for used kayaks too, they can take a beating and hold up real well. And you may get lucky and find one thats got soem rigging done to it already. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Baitfish

Bernie P. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the best Kayak for a beginner

Check this out-
http://www.perceptionsport.com/kayaks/PRS_Pescador_120
It's really just the 2009 Tarpon 120 renamed.Watch for sales of these at Academy.I've seen them go for less than 500 there.