All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Fresh-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Baitfish

brin is on a distinguished road
Default side mounted motor

Wondering, how will a kayak handle with a minn kota mounted on the side vs. rear?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: side mounted motor

only one way to find out...
Old 11-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Baitfish

brin is on a distinguished road

Because I don't like to re-invent the wheel, I appreciate learning from others what works and doesn't work. I think someone has experience with a side mount and could pass on what they discovered.
I think there is more than one way to find out!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road

no offense intended. I merely meant "just try it and see how it works out". I did see several articles on a forum (Bloody decks I think) where some have tried. It's not something I think I would do owing to the extra weight on one side might present a balance problem but that could be overcome with outriggers I suppose. Also the weight of a large enough battery is substantial, I have a minkota 40 on my inflatable and I need a 75 AH deep cell just to keep me going for a few hours and that sucker is heavy! Add a full bait bucket, rods, gear, anchor and youv'e got quite a load. OTOH, if you could mount a motor on say the left side, you should be able to hold a rod in your right hand, steer the motor with left (notwithstanding, using a cable and foot system). Anything is possible, therefore.....one way to find out is to just try it..(of course, as you said, benefiting from somebody elses experience is good too). Good luck and will be interested in learning what you find out.