All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Baitfish

Johnny N. is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from a new guy

Hey all. Cool place you have here. I have recently become obsessed with the idea of kayak fishing and thought you guys could help.

I had been wanting one of those small 2 man, pontoon type bass fishing boats for a while. I'm not sure what you would call them but they are about 10' long with two seats. I just wanted something to get into the small lakes/ponds and canals around here to do some bass fishing.

All of the sudden the other day, the idea of getting a kayak popped into my head. And now I'm obsessed. I know next to nothing about it but I just have to have one now. I love the idea of the boat being small, no motor or battery to deal with and the idea that I can get some exercise in the process.

I have read through some posts and learned some things already but I definitely have a lot to learn. I also have some time. I am about to have shoulder surgery so I wouldnt be able to paddle for several months anyway. I'll spend some time here learning and looking for the kayak that fits me best.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Free Swimmer

kayaker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from a new guy

Welcome to the addiction.

Stay safe, have safety gear, learn about it. Start small, in sheltered bays or lakes. Build your confidence and work your way up.

You will likely have a small 12v battery, to power your electronics or live well.

Shoulder surgery = look at Hobies

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...aks/Categories
Old 12-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Baitfish

Johnny N. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from a new guy

Thanks @kayaker. I'm with you on staying safe. I am excited to learn and look forward to being on the water.

The shoulder surgery I am having is a rough one and has along recovery time but I am hoping that having a goal of paddling will be a great motivator. I guess in my mind, if the surgery wont allow me to do something like that, there is no sense in having it in the first place. Plus I looked at Hobies and that is definitely not the price range I am going to be shopping in.

This would primarily be for small lakes and ponds and canals around here. Once I get to a point where I am confident, I would consider some of the intercoastal waterways and tributaries for snook and snapper and that sort of thing but initially just bass fishing in pretty easy water.

Thanks for the welcome.