All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Hobie Kayaks

Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Hobie Guru

steamroll is on a distinguished road
Default Hobie Mirage Drive Fin Upgrades for Kayak Fishing

Hobie Mirage Drive Fin Upgrades for Kayak Fishing

Hobie’s innovative Mirage Drive has revolutionized the world of Kayak Fishing. No other kayak allows you ‘hands free’ capability. With Hobie, you have the free to fish while underway. Not only that, but its more efficient and much faster than a traditional kayak. Now, Hobie has improved upon its original Mirage Drive fin design with 2 new upgraded fins, the ST Fin and the ST Turbo Fin.

The Standard or stock fin that comes with the Hobie Mirage Drive is 11 inches long with a curved bottom. The fin is very flexible providing for easy pedal strokes. This fin was designed for all skill levels, from the first timer to the seasoned salt.

The ST or “Square Tip” Fin is also 11 inches long, but instead of a curved bottom, it has a flat squared bottom. The fin is a bit stiffer than the standard fin and includes a tension screw that allows the user to increase or decrease the stiffness of the fin. This upgrade retails for $22.95 per fin or $45.90 for the pair.

The ST Turbo Fin is a beefed up version of the ST Fin. At 13.5 inches, it’s a full 2 and a half inches longer than the ST Fin. This additional length can provide for a 10% increase in speed (according to Hobie’s marketing material) You can also obtain top speed much more quickly and cruising speed is a breeze. This upgrade retails for $79.95 for the pair.

I’ve upgraded my Mirage Drive to the ST Turbo Fins for Kayak Fishing. I like the ability to chase down bird schools or just get out to the fishing grounds faster. Add a high performance sailing rudder and you’ve got a fishing machine.

Installation of the ST and ST Turbo Fins takes about 5 minutes and all required tools come with the upgrade kit.

ST Fin

First, you’ll need to remove the pin holding the rear of the fin.

Then, slide the fin off of the mast

Next, grab the ST Fin and slide it onto the mast.

Finally, replace the pin on the rear of the fin.

ST Turbo Fin
The ST Turbo fins have an additional step, due to the longer mast (13.5 inches)

After you have removed the standard fin, you’ll need to replace the mast
First, loosen the set screw holding the mast

Then, slide the old mast out and insert the longer mast. Be careful to line up the notch in the mast with the set screw.

Next, slide the ST Turbo fin onto the mast.

Finally, replace the pin on the rear of the fin.

Got Any Questions, wanna order this product - Call Nate - the Hobie Guru @ 760-721-6195
Old 12-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Home Guard

Iceman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hobie Mirage Drive Fin Upgrades for Kayak Fishing

FYI there is no set screw on the 2009 masts, they are using loctite to keep it in place........carry on peddlers.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Baitfish

Jerry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamroll View Post
The fin is a bit stiffer than the standard fin and includes a tension screw that allows the user to increase or decrease the stiffness of the fin.
Installed the Turbo fins. Tightened the screws on the rear of the fins fully. What's your opinion on the use of the screws? I could experiment while on the water, but would like your opinion.

I'm new to the forum. Disappointed that there is not more exchange?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Baitfish

Jerry is on a distinguished road

Just checking to see what my "signature" looks like.