All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 10-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Baitfish

Bass-Man is on a distinguished road
Default Transporting with a car

Do any of you carry your yaks on top of your cars. I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla no roof rack system, I checked out what it would cost to buy all the stuff foot kit,cross bars carrier and so on. Will cost over $300 bucks not to cost effective for a $500 dollar yak that will be used on a part time basis. I saw a foam type pad thing the straps down to the roof and looks like it goes through the door frames or windows and then straps bow and stern. The cost of this with a roof pad will be about 90 bucks . I will only be going short distances less then 5 to 10 miles all back roads no highways. My question is has any one out there used this system or knows of any type of system that don't use a roof rack to attach to ? The yak I'm looking to by is only 56lbs sit on top type. Any and all help will be appreciated.
Mike
Old 10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Free Swimmer

IB Fish"N" is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transporting with a car

Can you give more info as to the foam type one you saw (web site) to check out? Also my wife has the same car as you and you really need a cross bar type rack for the perpose of securing it down the cross bars are what you tie your yak straps to so it won't fly off the top of your car. Hope this helps i'm sure some others will chime in also.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Baitfish

Bass-Man is on a distinguished road

The web site is www.ems.com Eastern Mountain Sports. The item # 4071240 its Riverside Extra Wide Kayak Carrier $62.99. Did a live chat and the guy said if I was not going to far that this would work. Never owning a kayak or know anyone who does that's why I'm asking questions on this site. I like forums because Its real answers from real people not sells men and people being payed to sell products if it sucks the people on the forums will say so no if ands or butts about it honest answers.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Baitfish

Central is on a distinguished road

Don't really need anything expensive

Inexpensive soft racks.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Free Swimmer

IB Fish"N" is on a distinguished road

Looks like that will work for you. I couldn't use that i have to go on the freeway to get to most places i fish. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road

I ran across this while looking for transport ideas. It seems like a good solution to me and better than foam towers. thoughts?

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/malone...ck-mpg452.html

with the roofline of my 2011 Hyundai Sonata, this thing might actually be what I need and will save me about $300!

James
Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road

Thought I could save a couple hundred bucks by using a Malone Inflatable Kayak Carrier, but I learned that they are not to be used with cars featuring side curtain air bags! DRAT!

I guess I have to go with the Thule full blown hard rack system. (probably safer anyway).

oh well....
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Free Swimmer

JessicaParker is on a distinguished road

Well if you are having problems regarding transportation of kayaks from one place to another, then the best option for you would be to get rid of these huge kayaks and go for inflatable kayaks....
Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Baitfish

jwrigh69 is on a distinguished road

If you wanna go as cheap as possible you could always go to walmart and buy some pool noodles and cut them down the length of the tube and secure them together. I have a perception search 13 SOT that I transported on top of my honda civic with a couple rigged up pool noodles and ropes tied in the front and rear. My trips were always around 5ish miles and never at super high speeds. Total cost.. like $3 for the noodles and $20 for the rope. Not exactly trendy, but when tied down correctly, it gets the job done. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Baitfish

beardedguy is on a distinguished road

I bought a cross bar setup from Pepboys for 29.95 that is used
on a saturn for a couple of years. Took it on the freeway up to 70 mph.
Never had any problems.