All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Kayak Hoop-Netting

Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Home Guard

mg2969 is on a distinguished road
Default LBC Crabbin

Took BW's advice and went to "the spot"

Unforutnately I did not take the rest of his advice and go at night
Launched from the Gondolas @ 8 am inside Los Alamitos Bay
Peddled out and around, no parking on the ocean side by claremont

Soaked 2 nets with frozen macs
Seemed like small fish had a good meal.
1 Seal tryed getting a free meal

Ended up with 2 spider crabs.

Fished for 2 bonito, 1 mac, and 1 calico between pulls.

Lots of PB'ers
1 even decided to pull my nets while I went fishing.
Did the silent sprint with the peddle drive
Sarcastically thanked him for checking.
He felt bad offered some macs.
I declined.

Isn't it against the law to disturb other people nets ?

Off the water @ 200 pm
Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: LBC Crabbin

Thanks for the report. Yes, it is illegal to disturb another persons hoop net, flat out. In the 2007 Ocean Sportfishing handbook, under Crustaceans, section 29.80. In the General provisions number 3 /(3) it states "it is unlawful to disturb, move or damage any trap, or remove any saltwater crustacean from a trap that belongs to another person without written permission in possession from the owner of the trap".

I know the terminology uses trap and not hoop net, but I believe the spirit of the law is not to disturb or pull another persons device they are using to crab or catch lobsters. I have been on 2 trips where a kayaker and a boater have had hoops stolen that were in the water. Both of the times, the guy who owned the nets left them a distance away whereas the floats could not be easily seen. Something else you may want to keep in mind is if you place them close to rocks shore anglers are fishing from, sometimes they will try to snag your hoops and take them. When it comes to hoops, you have to keep a close eye on them.

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 08-27-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: speling
Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 AM
TEAM OEX

Matt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LBC Crabbin

Not sure if this is true or not, but the last night of hooping for lobsters during season I decided to spread my line of nets out a bit wider than normal(maybe 40 yards apart). When Harbor patrol pulled up to check my license etc.. they said that I needed to keep my hoops closer together and be able to have them "in sight at all times" . Now keep in mind all of my hoops use the larger bouys all with 2x3" reflective strips with weights on the bottom and 2 glowsticks that stick straight up and are quite easily seen from quite a distance. But the HP was very adamant that I had to keep my nets closer together and be able to manage them at all times. Now I am fairly new to hooping but does any one have a take on this? The only reason I bring this up, is that dude pulling your trap and I am wondering how far away you were(not trying to sound critical of you just wondering) and if the HP would have bothered you about "keeping closer to your hoop" as they did with me?? I may have to give crabbing a try to see if they taste good?

Thanks Matt
Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: LBC Crabbin

Matt,
I think what the HP was referring to was keeping your hoops "closely attended". I'm not sure however if there is a set distance for this, or just up to the individuals discretion. I usually set my nets about 20-50 feet apart so if someone is going to drive over my floats or try to snag one from a jetty, I can hit them with my spotlight. Others do it differently which probably works for them well also.

The guys who got their nets stolen had them about 50-100 yards away from the main line of nets we had out trying out new areas.

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube