All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

View Poll Results: Rod leashes: leave on when fishing or take off?
Leave on 11 78.57%
Take off 2 14.29%
Short to store, long for rod in use 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2006, 05:17 AM
Free Swimmer

StocktonDon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod leashes: leave on when fishing or take off?

Last Friday was fishing the saltwater on a Hobie Adventyre for the first time. Some guys had short rod leashes used only for stored rods, but at least one guy used longer leashes - or at least one longer leash for the rod he was actively casting and fishing.

What is the best practice: short, long, or a combo? Leave on when fishing or take off?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Predator

Scott Shaw is on a distinguished road

Think about it this way... You get a bite all of a sudden and the fish drags you and your yak , when paying attention to your rod , the paddle slips off and now is out of reach. Are you up the creek without your paddle? Yes ! It is kind of like a safety belt , unless used all the time , it will not probably be there when suddenly needed. Use that leash all the time , it's not good for much else. Good luck with the fishing , but be safe. Scott Shaw
Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Baitfish

SteveC is on a distinguished road

When I am fishing with rod in hand, I usually take the leash off. When the rods are in the rear rod holders I attach the leash. I always leash my paddle.

Hope this helps
Steve
Old 06-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

IMHO, If you're fishing and you stop to change hooks or sinkers or lures and something happens, you'd better have your rod leashed! I'll bet 95 % of the readers of this board have had a rod fall off their yak. You need the leashes more when you're fishing than when you're paddling with the rods in the rod holders! The only time the leashes help in the rod holders is when you flip! It's much cheaper ro rinse the salt outta your reel because it got submerged on the end of the leash, than to buy a new reel at $100+! Not to mention the rod. If you're fishing two rods, and you get bit on the one in the rod holder, you lay the other one on the deck and badda boom, badda bang, a double hookup and one of your rods is in the drink! Leash 'em or weep! Piranha
Old 06-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

SD,
I usually don't have a leash on my active rod, but I throw alot of plastics and such. I do tend to use a leash more on my active rod if I'm trolling for halibuts or ??, rather than throwing plastics making a cast every minute. Really though, you need to leash it or risk losing whatever it is. Maybe one rod, maybe a set...you never know. If you do make your own, you could make some shorter rod leashes for storing your rods that doesn't hang over and drag in the water possibly, and a longer one that doesn't restrict your movement with your active rod. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Free Swimmer

defjack is on a distinguished road

I leave mine on all the time.I also leash ,net gaff and anything else I want to keep. Jack
Old 09-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road

I'll leave the leash on while fishing but I learned this week you shouldn't have your paddle leashed for surf entry and exit. It may be potentially hazardous if the yak is flipped. My first launch from La Jolla's surf zone knocked me for a loop and if the leashes were on I could have been entangled and made a bad situation worse.
Hank

Old 09-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I use a leash for everything on the deck in case the unexpected. I use a bungee type leash on my active rod and rope leashes on the gear in the holders.