All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Baitfish

greyloon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts and Impressions of the 07 Hobie Outback Mirage

From the pictures, it appears the hatch is different on the '07 Outback. The former hatch was concave, the new one more like on the Revolution. If so, that is a good thing, I think. I've peddled both the Outback and Revolution in a short demo pool and could tell a few things about them, especially the speed. And, the Revolution is about the same width as the Hobie Quest, so should paddle about the same. But, has anyone tried paddling the Outback...not peddle, paddle, for any distance. In looking at it, I've wondered how well it does paddle say if the drive breaks or, like I run into here, it gets stuck in a hydrilla mat. I do wish they would make the drive so you can pedlle bacwards too as I like to drift fish that way, keeping my lines in front of me.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Free Swimmer

slayersmith is on a distinguished road

Greyloon,

The outback sucks to paddle, it sits pretty high off the water, its a short and wide boat. I would not want to paddle it very far. I think the only reason you get a paddle with the boat is to turn around in tight places.

I have found the best way to get thru the surf in the outback is to get in waist deep water (so the peddles dont hit the sand) time the sets and peddle out.

What is a hydrilla mat? Do you mean kelp? If so, the best thing to do in kelp is pull the rudder and peddle drive up and paddle to clear water.

I hope this helps.

Take it easy!

Aaron
Old 09-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Baitfish

You confirmed my suspicions about the Hobie and paddling. I'm a freshwater fisherman, primarily. Hydrilla is an exotic aquatic weed brought in by the aquarium trade...what's new... It grows thick in water up to about 12 feet, depending on water clarity. Usually, the thickest mats are in 5 ft or less. It gets so thick in places that alligators will lie on it sunning themselves. On the other hand, it can be great cover for bass, catfish, and other fish. Baitfish love to hide in it, the predators hang out in and near it for ambush.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

I almost agree with Aaron - but not compariing it to paddling anything else it seems OK. You want a 230 cm or longer paddle as the Outback is 34" wide.. I routinely paddle for a while to take a break from peddling when I am going more than a mile or so.

The new, high performance peddles are great for me. I can kick and coast a long ways for a senior citizen.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Baitfish

It is true that any kayak's speed and ease of paddling is just in comparison to others. Its like my two kayaks. I thought the first one I bought was fine until I paddled the second one. Its the layout I like about the Outback, it appears to be better than that of the Revolution for bait fishing.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Greyloon,
It is possible to peddle backwards in the Outback. Just put the Mirage drive in backwards. My buddy did it when we were trying the kayaks out. It was
pretty freaky. The dealer said that he knows some fly fishermen that do this
on purpose. They will pull into a cove, flip the drive around, cast out, and back out letting out line as they go. I agree with Slayersmith. You wouldn't want to paddle the Outback very far. Maybe when launching and landing. Or if you want to clear a hydrilla mat or a kelp bed, but that is about it.

Robert

Last edited by Robert; 09-26-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Free Swimmer

slayersmith is on a distinguished road

I am compairing paddling the OK scupper pro and the hobie adventure with the outback and their is no comparison. Its like compairing the speed of a manta ray and a baricuda.

I think every boat is designed to do something different. You just need to figure out what it is you want in a boat.

I would suggest to every one to try before you buy, and take pictures and post them just like Robert did, so we can all talk about it.

Take it easy!

Aaron
Old 09-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Baitfish

Not that I have the money to part with, but there's demo day for the Outback, Adventure,and Revolution on Clear Lake, a salt water lake south of Houston. A friend and I are going to hit it Friday. Supposedly, instead of a pool, they'll have it set up so you can take them out on the lake.

I heard that Hobie changed the Mirage set up so that it couldn't be put in backwards on newer models. Anyone know?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Greyloon,
The model that my buddy put the peddles in backwards on was the 2007 Outback. I don't know about the other 2007 models.

Robert