All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 09-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Free Swimmer

dwest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Catalina trip planning

Checkout the kayaking map at:
http://www.kayakcatalinaisland.com/html/camping.html

It looks like there are five improved campsites: two in Avalon, one on each side of Two Harbors (Isthmus Harbor in front and Cat Harbor in back of the island, one at Parson's Landing toward the west end of the island on the front side, and Little Hatbor on the back.

There are a number of other primitive campsites on the front side of the island between valon and Two Harbors..

The 17 or so mile stretch from Little Harbor on the back, down around the east end, to Avalon loooks pretty much without campsites.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Free Swimmer

Don:

Your Hobie Adventure should float regardless, but if you want extra flotation inside, making it a combo storage bag wont give you the flotation you need should the hull completely breach (unlikely). Pack light and install regular flotation bags fore and aft.

As a guy who picks up the un-cautious for a living, I can add a few things that most don't think enough of:

(I am putting aside the obvious items like a constant wear PFD, etc.)

1: A very detailed sail/paddle plan..left behind with someone you love / trust.

You want a detailed plan/schedule that includes. Where you are going....when you will be where...when you intend to leave. Possible bail- out points. What equipment you have with you. Your cell phone number (if you are carrying)... You need to think like a rescuer and write down all the stuff you would want to know if YOU had to go look for yourself. This should all be on a single page, easily faxed to the Coast Guard.

Leave instructions with the person who is watching out for you...WHEN to call the coast guard and WHERE to send it. Already have the fax numbers of the Coast Guard ready for them.

Include a detailed description of your boat, Your clothing, You (35 yo White male, 185 lbs etc.)

A detailed and useful float plan is almost always overlooked. We usually get...."My husband wnt out Kayaking and he isn"t back yet!" Us, "Where did he go?" Wife, "on the ocean!"

2. Stick with your plan! Be flexible if you need to....but contact home base with any changes.

3. Stay in touch whenever possible.
Cell phone....vhf radio (a must have safety item) and .... VERY IMPORTANT and worth EVERY PENNY...A 406 EPIRB in your vest! Worn ALL THE TIME. Yes, I know they are 500 bucks plus. Trust me, when you see the helicopter looking for you but theey are too far away to be seen...you will wish you had spent the money.

If the 20 miles between Catalina and the beach has cell phone coverage. Check in with home every hour. If there are dead spots, You would be better off calling just before you leave with your expected return time. Call as soon as you hit the beach.

Remember...as soon as you are out of your boat and in the water...the water is trying to kill you and it is very good at it. The FASTER you get out...the better. Float plan alone: 36 hours is fast. Float plan and 406 EPIRB. 2 hours is average given your distance from shore. Your vest should include (at the very least) the EPIRB and (the all time secret best signalling device made) a flashlight. Waterproof: Pelican lights are my favorite. Point your light at a helicopter and shaking it back and forth is the international signal for "COME LOOK AT ME" to all Coast Guard aircrews.

Another great piece of low tech gear to have with you is a rescue streamer.

5. Know where you are. A handheld GPS (more money I know) is well worth the investment. (duh?)

Listen, I hope this helps. Its a little long winded and maybe very obvious, but I never find people that are this prepared. Why? They are far to prepared to get into trouble, and usually don't.

Safety at sea is easy....think.

You are doing a circumnav of Catalina. Have fun. But that is what you are doing...it is NOT WHERE you are going. Where you are going is this:

You are going to surround yourself on all sides by something that will not sustain human life and if you get in it, it will slowly try to kill you. (thats the ocean).

Remember WHERE you are going...and then prepare for WHAT you are doing.

Mario / CGRS

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-mitylite-2420-flashlight.html

http://www.rescuestreamer.com/

https://gpssignal.com/aquafix_406.htm

CGRS – ChesapeakeVA – a coast guard rescue swimmer – reposted with permission.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Free Swimmer

Mario / CGRS edited his original post to add a few things, I repost in its entirety:

All:

Don had sent me a PM to ask me some questions about ocean safety. He asked me to post my reply on the open forum.

here it is:

Don:

Your Hobie Adventure should float regardless, but if you want extra flotation inside, making it a combo storage bag wont give you the flotation you need should the hull completely breach (unlikely). Pack light and install regular flotation bags fore and aft if you want that back-up.

As a guy who picks up the un-cautious for a living, I can add a few things that most don't think enough of:

(I am putting aside the obvious items like a constant wear PFD, A watertight boat, cold-water protection (not so obvious?) etc.)

1: A very detailed sail/paddle plan..left behind with someone you love / trust.

You want a detailed plan/schedule that includes:

Where you are going....
when you will be where...
when you intend to leave.
Possible bail- out points.
What equipment you have with you.
Your cell phone number (if you are carrying)...

You need to think like a rescuer and write down all the stuff you would want to know if YOU had to go look for yourself. This should all be on a single page, easily faxed to the Coast Guard.

Leave instructions with the person who is watching out for you...WHEN to call the coast guard and WHERE to send it. Already have the fax numbers of the Coast Guard ready for them.

Include a detailed description of your boat, your clothing, You (35 yo White male, 185 lbs etc.)..any medical history...drug allergies..etc.

A detailed and useful float plan is almost always overlooked. We usually get...."My husband wnt out Kayaking and he isn"t back yet!" Us, "Where did he go?" Wife, "on the ocean!"

2. Stick with your plan! Be flexible if you need to....but contact home base with any changes.

3. Stay in touch whenever possible.
Cell phone....vhf radio (a must have safety item) and .... VERY IMPORTANT and worth EVERY PENNY...A 406 (not 121.5) EPIRB in your vest! Worn ALL THE TIME. Yes, I know they are 500 bucks plus. Trust me, when you see the helicopter looking for you but they are too far away to be seen...you will wish you had spent the money.

(note: ALL EPIRBS need the antenna to be OUT of the water to transmit effectively....REGISTER your 406)

If the 20 miles between Catalina and the beach has cell phone coverage. Check in with home every hour. If there are dead spots, You would be better off calling just before you leave with your expected return time. Call as soon as you hit the beach.

If things get dicey but you think you can handle it, DO NOT be afraid to use that radio to call the Coast Guard and ask for a Radio Guard.

"This is Kayak 1, I am half-way between Catalina and the beach in position ## ## ##N by ## ## ##W heading for the ____
Marina....I am not having an emergency but would like to maintain contact with you until I safely arrive."

I would much rather here THAT call, than the one from your wife that you never made it to the marina and she hasn't heard from you for two days. Understand?

Remember...as soon as you are out of your boat and in the water...the water is trying to kill you (and it is very good at it). The FASTER you get out...the better. Float plan alone: 36 hours is fast. Float plan and 406 EPIRB. 2 hours is average given your distance from shore. Your vest should include (at the very least) the EPIRB and (the all time best low-tech secret signalling device made) a flashlight! Waterproof: Pelican lights or the Q40 are my favorite. Point your light at a helicopter and shaking it back and forth is the international signal for "COME LOOK AT ME" to all Coast Guard aircrews.

Another great piece of low tech gear to have with you is a rescue streamer. AWESOME device. I carry one and look for people in the water for a living...nuff said.)

5. Know where you are. A handheld GPS (more money I know) is well worth the investment. (duh?)

Listen, I hope this helps. Its a little long winded and maybe very obvious, but I never find people that are this prepared. Why? They are far too prepared to get into trouble, and usually don't.

Safety at sea is easy....think.

You are doing a circumnav of Catalina. Have fun. But that is WHAT you are doing...it is NOT WHERE you are going.

Where you are going is this:

You are going to surround yourself on all sides by something that will not sustain human life. If you get in it and can't get out, it will slowly kill you (fast if its cold). (that is the ocean).

Remember WHERE you are going first...and then prepare for WHAT you are doing.

Be Safe,

Mario

Not Bad
http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-mitylite-2420-flashlight.html

The one I carry now: http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/lights/14010

http://www.rescuestreamer.com/

https://gpssignal.com/aquafix_406.htm

These links in no way represent an endorsement from the U.S.C.G. of the above mentioned equipment. Me personally? I love them.

[ September 05, 2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: CGRS ]
Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Free Swimmer

I know there are significant variables like weather, wind, etc., but you have to plan, so:

How many miles per day do you plan for on average on an ocean tour, like going around Catalina island?

Without significant stops to fish, dive, or whatever?

With significant stops to fish, dive, or whatever?

Different when the day calls for a 20-26 mile plus open ocean channel crossing?

Thanks for sharing your experience.