All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Baitfish

Adament is on a distinguished road
Arrow Newbie Fishing Gear Tips, Tricks

I just bought my first kayak and was wondering if anyone had any advice they could lend regarding fishing gear. i was interested in if anyone had any particular gear they found incredibly useful, such as certain types of tackle boxes, low profile etc. Cheep car Transportation systems, techniques etc. So far I took my kayak out once and decided that night fishing would be a blast, so I found myself a 18 "pole mounted LED light and a LED headlamp for night fishing. I also got a swivel style pole holder for the front and 2 deck mounts for the rear, and assortment of bungee cords. I'm sure I'll find out what I'll need or what "would have" come in handy eventually, but I'd like to have some other opinions on things other people find very useful for kayak fishing. Like a picture I saw of someone using a paddle leash for their pole, smart thinking, things like that.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Baitfish

g-man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie Fishing Gear Tips, Tricks

It probably depends what type of fish you are going for, but there are some things I find useful. I have a NativeWatercraft Ultimate 16 Propel and a tandem Ocean Kayak Malibu. I fish with my son, mostly on small lakes. We often want to stay in one area and avoid drifting, so we have two things that work nice for that. First I have a short rope with a small spring clamp tied to it that works well to tie off to trees or other objects. We also use a small claw anchor and I have a rope with loops tied of at 6, 10, 20 and 30+ feet, we use a clip on the desired depth loop and drop it. I have a pulley system on the side of the kayak, this is a lifesaver and allows you to position the anchor to the front or back your yak to position you whatever way you want to face in windy condtions. I keep a sharp knife close in case we would get hung up and need to cut it loose. Inverting the anchor and using a ziptie to hold the rope to the "top" of the anchor has saved me many times in rocky snags. Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Baitfish

The anchor is a good Idea, that’s one of the things on my first trip out I realized I needed. After looking around at traditional “anchors” I decided I needed a less traditional approach. I have a sit in , emotion glide, and although it’s not really cramped feeling, there really isn’t an abundance of space on any kayak, so I made a custom modified anchor.
I bought a 75 foot length of weaved polypropylene rope (that’s about the max depth I’ll be in), not real high tensile strength, but then again, I’m not anchoring a yacht. Some “C” shaped hooks that I bent outward a bit with a vise to get into the form I wanted, and I used a 2½ foot length of ½ inch rebar with a hole drilled into the center for anchor.
The hooks I used on the stern starboard side to keep the rope wound up, and the rebar is secured nicely in a bungee paddle lock. When I’m out on the lake, en route or trolling, I just rest the rebar against the rope and hooks, it stays quite secure, in transport I secure it in the paddle lock bungee cord ****(whatever it’s called) I wanted something semi-heavy but that didn’t take up excessive space, and the rebar fits the bill quite nicely, I also primed it grey to match the kayak, and to secure from rust.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Baitfish

The knife is a very good idea, and is something that I had been thinking about, I don’t want to get flipped over and wound up with rope or fishing lines; that would be a rather precarious situation. I went and got a Leatherman multi-tool, for removing hooks, cutting lines etc;, but that won’t help in an emergency. I’d like something I can fasten to my PFD with easy access, in case I flip over and get wound up and need to slice and dice in a hurry. I have a diving knife, but that’s a little overkill, need something much smaller, I’m thinking non-collapsible straight blade with a quick release sheath, less than 3 inch blade.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Free Swimmer

JessicaParker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina21maria View Post
well as i think about this matter ! There is nothing better than The knife !!!
The knife is a very good idea
Surely going for and taking a knife while kayaking is considered good, but playing with knifes, didn't your mummy warned you never to play with knifes......
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 AM
Baitfish

West65 is on a distinguished road

helpful thread! glad i came across it

Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Baitfish

TerryS is on a distinguished road

Seriously, how could y'all not mention a fish finder? Unless you got superman eyes on the water!