All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Mission bay 5/24/07

Hey all,

Well today was an interesting day for me. I fished mission bay for the first time for some interesting results. I launched out of Dana Landing about noon. Brought all the normal stuff and my plano bait bucket for live bait. So I paddled to quivera basin and the bait barge and bought a small scoop of bait. This turned out to be a good move, because on the way there I got a pencil barrie and a 15inch white sea bass on the troll. In the process of getting bait I almost flip my boat (lots of water inside) so had to pump it out. So I get squared away and start fishing the live bait. Fished the derilict boats for no love so moved to the rocks before the ventura bridge. This was a good move, I got nailed by a ?????. It started to strip line then came unbottoned. So I did 3 drifts there for 2 small halis and lots of misses. I finally drift past the bridge and get hammered by a nice sand bass. It was legal so I was gonna keep it. While still drifting that area I catch 3 more spotties on 3" AA grubs. Now its getting around 4pm so I head in to Dana Landing area. I see 2 guys on new hobie kayaks pedaling around. We say hi and one of the guys works a Fastlane sailing center, he was giving a demo. So we start talking and he tells me about a slightly used Quest they have....... Yup you guessed it I spent the next 2 hrs demoing and trading in the Pungo. So now I'm on a Quest to get some fish. I must be nuts, but its such a nice platform. Its stable, turns even better than the pungo and much faster. So now that I have a sit on top I really need everyones help in the upfitting of her. I'm looking forward to fishing her rigged and ready.

So I'm a nut.

Tight lines and Paddle well,

Jon

jonee523

Ps. I forgot the sand bass was taken by a knothead while tied to the dock and talking about the Quest.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mission bay 5/24/07

I have the outback mirage and it works well with some outfitting. I have spare new paddle leash, some Scotty fittings, loop cleats and miscellaneous. Email me steve at seaslug.com - also have a Hobie sail kit I have never used.

Steve
Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Steve and all,
If you guysngals have stuff for kayaks and fishing you are looking to sell, don't forget we have a free classified ads area here to post your goods.

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Way to go Jon! The Quest is a nice kayak. I almost bought one instead of my Tarpon 140. It has a lot of good features. I know a couple of people who own Quests, and they like them a lot. I would suggest getting a good quality paddle
like an Aqua Bound or a Warner when you can get around to it.

Robert
Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Mission bay 5/24/07

Jonee523,
Thanks for the report and congrats on the bass and new kayak. Hobie's are really nice kayaks. I'm glad to hear the AA curly tails are working out for you also. I've used them for years and when I fish the bays I always have them with me at the ready. Maybe after the tourney next week, some of us should get together and do some fishing in the morning and do a small BBQ afterwards. Maybe have a brew and tell some fish stories. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN....

tight lines and paddle well,

Jon