All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Kayak Hoop-Netting

Old 10-02-2008, 06:51 AM
TEAM OEX

Matt is on a distinguished road
Default A warm night of buggin'

warm night of buggin'
Launched Tuesday night at about 645 at SI with some buddys going on my first yak hooping trip of the season, first time hooping in the new Trident. Took 3 hoops, 2 eclipse style, and one traditional 32 with the bait box rigged "portugese" style with the bait box suspended across the large ring with some dyneema and tuna clips. Got to the "secret" spot that was easily identified with 30 some glow stick filled bouys! Threw our nets down full of some fresh dead macks and some frozen yellowtail craps. Did our first pull roughly 45 minutes later for 1 legal and a ton of just shorts, on the second pull in the same vicinity (roughly 25' and 33') netted 2 more legals and more shorts. Both Mike and Rusty also netted a legal also. After this the crawl seemed to shut off for a bit, although Rusty netted one more, pulled our hoops and headed to the bali hai shoal and set hoops for a last ditch effort, Mike pulled up another legal in less than 6' of water, all I got was stingrays in the second spot, we quickly called it a night and headed on in for a total of 7 bugs for 4 guys. Talked to the Harbor Patrol who checked our licenses, bugs, and bug cards and he said we probably had the most success of anyone he had checked all night. Loaded up and headed home, I got all 3 of my legals before 10pm, also this was hands down the warmest night of hooping that I have ever experienced!! Good luck to any heading on out!!!

Matt F.

As soon as I find my camera cord I will put up some pics!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A warm night of buggin'

How did you like the Trident?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
TEAM OEX

Matt is on a distinguished road

The trident, is hands down my favorite kayak that I have ever paddled, plenty stable enough to hoop and I love the storage capacity!!!

The boat is wicked stable and plenty fast!! Just put in the YT pic for extra cheese, but the boat is a far better hooping platform than I thought it would be! I was expecting it to be a bit more tippy pulling heavy hoops, but it proved me wrong. I have caught large t-sharks, yt, black sea bass, and halibut all from this yak and it continues to impress me in how it performs in even the most adverse of conditions! I have had it out in large swell, and punched through big surf and wind the boat flat out performs flawlessly!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I use mine for diving. I have no problems pulling my heavy scuba gear on board. I have some pixs from a dive trip last Saturday in my gallery. I could not upload them here for some reason. If I get over this cold I have had I will be out hooping next weekend. I got a 9.5 pounder last Jan off my Big Game. Looking forward to giving the Trident a try with my nets.