All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road
Default Camera for the yak?

About a month or so ago, the question was posed about the best camera for our sport, and one particular camera was mentioned as being outstanding. Subsequently, someone purchased that camera and it got a lotta praise. I can't locate that thread and I'm looking for a new camera! Can anyone give me a refresher on the name of the camera mentioned in that thread? Thanks in advance! Piranha
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Camera for the yak?

The camera was the Pentax Optio W30. Water Rat & I both bought it and I love it. It is waterproof to 10 feet and takes some pretty cool underwater photos and video.

Search on-line, I think I paid $230 and it came with a 500MB memory card thrown in. I also bought 2 additional batteries and a 2GB memory card as the camera goes thru batteries pretty quick. The videos and photos (2MB each) take up alot of space so go with something large 1-2GB minimum on the memory card. Search on-line for the best deals on these too.

One word of caution, it sinks like a rock so if you use it in the yak, tether it or put a float on it!

Ed
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Home Guard

I plan to put it in the small camera aquapac I won in the photo contest! Hope it'll fit! That should float it! Two more questions , First, does it shoot sound video? Second, does the lens move in and out when you turn it on? That feature made using my old Olympus D550 in the Aquapac impossible! Thanks for such a speedy response! I also have one of those DXG-308 underwater housing equipped cameras! It's given me headaches!

Underwater housing for DXG 308 digital camera | Digital Camera Review

You can't see the viewfinder in bright light! I need something better. Tired of the cheesy driveway shots by my daughter!

Thanks Ed! Piranha/Jerry
Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Livin' the Dream

Jerry,

Yes it does capture sound, not that great but good enough for this type of camera.

The zoom lense is contained in the camera housing and that housing is flat, so there is no lense extension. This camera should work in your aquapac.

Two things that I don't like but have learned to live with. The camera does not have a traditional viewfinder only the backscreen display that shows where you are shooting. In bright light and really dark situations it is worthless, you just aim and hope for the best.

Second, as the W30 is a traditional digital camera and not an SLR type digital there can be shutter delay when trying to get action shots.

But then again this is a $230 camera and not a $1200 Digital Nikon/Canon SLR.

Still worth buying IMO.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
I plan to put it in the small camera aquapac I won in the photo contest! Hope it'll fit! That should float it! Two more questions , First, does it shoot sound video? Second, does the lens move in and out when you turn it on? That feature made using my old Olympus D550 in the Aquapac impossible! Thanks for such a speedy response! I also have one of those DXG-308 underwater housing equipped cameras! It's given me headaches!

You can't see the viewfinder in bright light! I need something better. Tired of the cheesy driveway shots by my daughter!

Thanks Ed! Piranha/Jerry
Old 07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Preadator

TARPONATER is on a distinguished road

What type of memory does it use? SD cards by any chance?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Livin' the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARPONATER View Post
What type of memory does it use? SD cards by any chance?

Yes SD
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Ed,
I've been looking at them, and will probably get one this week. The shutter stuck on the camera I was using at the time, and we got this beauty of a shot of a native golden trout in Troy Meadows. Of course, I was using the viewfinder at the time DOH!!!!

Perry
Attached Images

Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Home Guard

ED , I donno if I can handle the lcd blackout in bright light! The one I have now does that and I have to shoot 5 shots to make sure at least one is acceptable! I'm looking for the "What you see is what you get!" scenario. BTW, Fry's has a 2GB SD card for around $17.99! I'm gonna get one for my daughter's Canon Powershot SD600 digital ELPH. . Aside to Perry, that's the camera she shot the Steppenwolf vid on! Video kinda sucked(short cameraperson!) but the sound was great! Piranha
Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I use an Olympus Stylus 770SW. This camera is waterproof to 33ft and is shockproof if you drop it. It has 7.1 mega pixels and has a good zoom. It will also capture video and has some other cool features. Almost all the photos in my gallery are with this camera. I got mine On sale at Best Buy.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Camera for the yak?

Thanks for the input If any has any other models they are happy with and would recommend, or advise to stay away from, please let us know. It could benefit quite a few people.

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube