All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-10-2007, 08:14 PM
creekyakker

tomh is on a distinguished road
Question creek yakker

Can anyone tell me approximately how long you can run a small fish finder, (eagle cuda 168) on eight AA batteries. I am in the process of installing one on my kayak and I'm curious. Thanks!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Dirty Scoundrel

Black Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: creek yakker

I would say 10-15 hrs, but thats just a guess. You should call the manufacturer and ask them, they should know.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Water Rat

Exclamation Re: creek yakker

Omited by WR

Last edited by Water Rat; 07-06-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: creek yakker

Most fish finders consume 100-125ma when running, and about twice that when their lights are on. If you use econo brand zinc batteries which are good for about 400mAh+ of current, about 4-6 hours. If you use top quality Alkaline batteries which go from about 1500mAh to about 3000mAh, somewhere in about 10-20hr range depending on how much you use the backlight on the ff.

Seaslug, does this sound about right to you??

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I use a 12 volt 8 amp hour battery to power up my Eagle Fish Easy. This battery will last as long as I need it. I ran it for a couple trips without recharge and I never lost power. I got this and the charger at Fries. I use two pin trailer plugs two hook everything up. This one is on the charger. I use the same set up on my bait tank. This is easy to rig with some basic soldering skills and a good marine grad silicone. Use the silicone to seal all your connections so they won’t corrode in the salt environment. I use some industrial Velcro to hold it in place inside the kayak hull when on the water. I have had this for a couple years now with no problems. You can get these sealed batteries in smaller sizes too. This may be another option that is cost effective. I have some photos of the fish finder in the rigging section of this board that shows the mounting.

Attached Images

Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Water Rat

Exclamation Re: creek yakker

Omited by WR

Last edited by Water Rat; 07-06-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

jonee523 was using a 12v drill battery which looked good for a kayak being compact. I think Perry is accurate in his time estimates on the AA batteries.

I just followed Piranah's suggestion and bought a 6V battery for my bait tank (cuts water pressure on fish about in half for better bait life). I will use my 7Ah 12V battery for my fish finder alone.

As your battery discharges, the voltage drops and depending on your FF, low voltage causes display problems. This starts well before it actually quits working - especially on the color units.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

? for Incredible,
I really like the trailer hitch connector. I presume the outer part runs directly to your ff. Would work for bait tank also! I've had my battery clips unconnect in my seast back pocket, and kill my bait. One question, how do you connect the charger to recharge? Another trailer clip half? Thanks, Piranha
Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 AM
creekyakker

tomh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the information. I have been thinking about the 12 volt rechargeable drill batteries. May go that route.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

Piranha, I use another plug half on my charger. The battery shown on that particular photo is on the charger. The connector for the fish finder is inside the hull of my kayak. I have three of these batteries set up this way. You just need to make sure that the pins and sockets are aligned the same as far as the pin or socket side of the plug being on the positive or negative side of the circuit. That way they all mach up to the fish finder, bait tank or charger. I ended up re soldering a few connections for not paying attention to that small detail. You can convert any 12 volt charger to charge these batteries and you can dunk this set up without any problems. Here are a couple pix of the way the fish finder is mounted on my kayak with the wires running through the footwell bulkhead.
Attached Images