All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Water Rat

Exclamation Re: New Specialty rod for Kayak Anglers

Omited by WR

Last edited by Water Rat; 07-06-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Specialty rod for Kayak Anglers

I saw some of these at the FH show. Nice rods but the one thing I didn't like about them was the extra length of the butt (from the reel seat back to the butt of the rod).

BC
Old 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Baitfish

at1 is on a distinguished road

I posted this rod in 6 Kayak Fishing forums.
All forums had nothing good to say about the rod and all stated the butt section was too long.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: New Specialty rod for Kayak Anglers

AT1,
Maybe this may help shed some light.

I have not used one of these rods, but from what others have said, someone at the factory may want to consider something. In this rod, take the butt length which seems to be a bone of contention. The reason being is I'm sitting down, not standing in boat while fishing with it. If your rod has too long of a butt section on a trigger stick, what happens is the butt section protrudes in back of you to some degree, especially if you palm your reel and not hang onto the trigger. The distance it protrudes in back of you means it could easily come into a conflict with your kayak seat, other rigging, or flat out make it impossible to sit back in your seat while fishing. If you sit sideways, no problem. However, if I'm in the big salty fishing a breakwall for bass, I may have 20 lb line on with a buttoned down drag. I'm not going to do this sitting sideways.

I dunno who they had supply their input on behalf of kayak anglers before they produced this series, but maybe someone didn't consider something they should have. Just my .02,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

If the blank does not extend through to the end of the butt you have a much weaker roc - especially for stand-up fishing. Put the butt on your groin or pocket and bend it at the reel and see how much fish it will pull. Perry is very correct about the short butt for the kayak (got to get past my belly somehow).
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Water Rat

Omited by WR

Last edited by Water Rat; 07-06-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Home Guard

Actually, the short rods work great - better lifting power. I have a 42" rod I use with 50# test. What the long rod and parabolic design does is work better with light line and strong fish - acts like a spring.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Water Rat

Omited by WR

Last edited by Water Rat; 07-06-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Home Guard

mine custom wrapped, 20-50#, about 5 guides plus tip, double wrapped. These are called "panga" rods, made for the 16-26 foot open boats frequently used in Baja California - any bottom fish. Similar rods made down to about 36". Saw a cutie at Fred Hall show: 42", about 8 full roller guides, perhaps 9. Great for tuna.
I have an older Master brand rod, 5' long with tip plus 12 guides good up to about 30 pound line. I have used it for ling cod and rock fish for at least 30 years and love it - guess why I bought the shorter, heavier rod.

Suggestions if you want a heavy rod - roller guides to reduce friction and long forgrip to make a "rail rod" you can just lay on the rail and crank.

Note that you will have some trouble with double dropper loop rigs and other long leader applications.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Predator

jclays is on a distinguished road

I'll agree.. you cannot have too much butt length in a yak rod. While in a sitting position ive found that the butt of a rod gets in the way. Ive shortened rod butts by 6inches and end capped them to fit for a sitting cast vs a standing cast. Good catch on the extra length on the butt. I personally like fishing the shimano terramar series and find them good for a med to med/heavy action rod and a shimano compre for a med/light bait casting rod also a shimano scimitar for a lighter spinning rod. Dont forget the old stand by Shakespear tiger rod good for jigging and Hailbut.
Jim