All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 10-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Baitfish

lacofdfireman is on a distinguished road
Default Photo's of my KayakTrailer, thus far... (Lots of Pics inside

So after hours of surfing the internet to find an idea of how to retrofit my 6x8 utility trailer I had a few ideas but was needing something I could do in an hour or two because my kids were all over me to take them to the lake... So I just decided to do a redneck version for now then to later on build what I actually want.. So here is my photo's of my trailer and how it works...

So I anchor the Kayaks down with some ROK Straps which are a type of bungee strap... Under the Kayaks I have a Pool Noodle with a rope running through it so it won't side forward and backwards... I have read that it is not good to strap down to hard because you can actually crush the bottom of the kayak.. Since the ROK Straps use a plastic clip type buckle I have a Ratchet tie down across the center of the Kayaks that runs through the side handles as a backup safety system should one of the ROK straps break or come undone... Also I make sure that I don't tighten this to tight also... Examining the bottom of the Kayaks I have noticed the the bottom of the Stealth 14 looks really flat in one area towards the front... I have a bunch of photo's so you can tell me if this is normal or if it has been damaged... I bought these used and have only taken them out once since I bought them... I noticed this flat area since I bought them but didn't really think anything of it but now am wondering...

Below are some Photo's of the kayaks tied down.. One think I have noticed is some people transport with the top side down and some transport with bottom side down.. Does this make a difference?

Stealth 14 is the farthest one in the Photo...
[img]

[/img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/lacofdfireman/Malibu%20Kayaks/IMG_5974.jpg

So what's your opinion on the Bottom of the Stealth 14?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Baitfish

mike vint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Photo's of my KayakTrailer, thus far... (Lots of Pics inside

sun will pop that out and next time turn your boat over. don't strap so tight.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Baitfish

Yiman is on a distinguished road

I transport ours upside down on our trailer. I have seen both, but the owners manual states that when storing to put them upside down or on their sides. Supposedly that's their strongest points. It also says that you could stand them up ( again storage ). Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Baitfish

megha_jones is on a distinguished road

nice set up.

i had a muffler shop weld on a couple bars to the side. the owners manual on my kayak said to store them upside down or on it's sides.

i also put a car hauler on flore of trailer, with a lock, so i have storage for poles and tackle.

cant get it to load here but here is a link.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCN0752.jpg

p.s. mind the mess i just came back from fishing.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Baitfish

T-Rex is on a distinguished road

If you're going to trailer them right side up so you can leave the seats etc attached, try getting some cradles or 2 x 4's running length wise to spread uot the load and avoid denting the hull. Otherwise as others have said, transport them upside down or on their sides.