All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 04-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Baitfish

akyakfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie here

Just checking in. New to the forums and new to kayaks.
I canoe fished in east central FL for many years and moved to AK last year. Bought an OK Prowler 15 to use in lakes and eventually the Valdez/Prince William Sound area.

I'm a sponge for info, so any tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Glenn
Old 04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Newbie here

Glenn,
Welcome to our forums As of yet, I have not had the chance to kayak fishing up there, so about the only thing I can think of is to be sure your paddling clothing is correct for your water/ambient temperatures, and dress for immersion. Yes, alot of us have flipped our kayaks once if not a few times due to may reasons. Some we'll admit to and some we won't,LOL. Also, please be sure you can self rescue yourself without thinking about it.

The last tourney I was in, one guy flipped his kayak and it filled with water, and he could not climb back on. If one of the weigh boats didn't help him, I don't know if he would still have his kayak. It had ALOT of water in it.

What types of fish are you going to be fishing for?? Bottom fish, halibuts?? Sounds like a very cool place to kayak fish

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube