All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road
Default Dana Point 6/29/07 Report

Viking, Ray, Seaslug, and myself launched from Baby Beach around 7 a.m. I got a short barracuda on the troll to the bait barge. Viking and Ray went north to the headlands. Seaslug and I went out to Doheny. Doheny was slow, so we went back off the red buoy. I got short white seabass, a legal calico (released), and lots of mystery bites. No giant leopard sharks today. Ray, Viking, and Seaslug returned to the beach. I continued to fish. Inside the harbor, I found a wide open bite. After losing many fish that unbuttoned on the way to the yak, I finally pulled up a legal halibut and a decent spotted bay bass. Went back to the bait barge, and they measured my halibut. Legal! Got a fresh five dollar bait refill, went back to the hot spot and almost immediately got another legal (not huge, but legal!) halibut. Almost immediately, the bite died. So, I ambled back to Baby Beach, trolling a live sardine. Picked up another (22-inch) short barracuda. Arrived at the beach around 5. Last man on the water! A good day for me! Piranha

Here's an OTW pic of the first halibut and his spotted friend!