All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM
rivermonster

dbbarnes is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for kayak

I'm new to kayak fishing and kayaking in general but I'm looking for a good boat to get started in. I plan on fishing it all, rivers, lakes, bays, surf, etc. I'm fairly big guy 6'2 230lbs. I dont really want something brand new unless I have to but I want something stable and durable for a good price. Anybody know of anything please let me know! Any suggestions on a specific kayak would be great too! Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Baitfish

Billy C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for kayak

Read and do searches on the net...1st thing is to read about kayak capacity..they FIGURE WAY LOW the carrying weight. 2nd ..either sit on one or demo..and remember there is no perfect kayak for all people at all levels.What we "think " we want and need today may(or) will change as we get better.Since I couldnt demo boats I searched youtube for kayak videos and compared my size against other users.
Hope this helps..good luck and enjoy the trip..
Old 06-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Baitfish

Chriskayaks is on a distinguished road

Hi dbbarnes

As a kayaker and fisherman I recommend looking at a sit on top (SOT) kayak. They are cheap, light and durable. These kind of kayaks are much easier to use as you are not totally strapped into them and they don't capsize easily. But if they do capsize, getting on and in one is much quicker and easier than a sit in kayak. Search for a few accessories which will be advantageous like RodPods that'll hold your fishing rods in place in case of capsizing, paddle straps, etc.

Like Billy said, search and research on the internet. With the vast amount of knowledge and products you can find on the internet, I can assure you, you will find the perfect kayak for yourself in no time.

Happy hunting.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Robalito

Robalito is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find the kayak you wanted. I just seen your post and was curious because I have a Freedom Hawk 14 for sale. This is a really great kayak for fishing and even a big guy like you can stand up in it because it has built in outriggers. Comes with leaning post, poling pole, anchor and paddle. Asking $900. Located in Melbourne Beach, Florida
Old 04-24-2018, 07:36 AM
Baitfish

Brittany is on a distinguished road

I think this article can help you get what you are looking for. Check out the best kayak brands that is out there in the market.