All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default buying decisions

Well, as some know, I have pretty much narrowed down my search and was just about ready to pull the trigger on either a Tarpon 140 or Tarpon 160 (for nearly the same price considering the details of each offer), then along came this:

2008 Cobra Navigator XF fully equipped with seat, paddle,anchor,mounts,rope, live bait bucket, battery, case, rod holders, trolley for $700.

I have not got a chance to demo the Navigator, but am told it is better designed for the taller user than the Explorer.

Had not been for this latest offering, I would only have to choose between the Tarpons (beleive it or not, the Tarpon 160 would end up costing about $200 less than the Tarpon 140.

If it were only a matter of price, then of course the Cobra would be the pick as I think I could get by with a foam tower carrier rather than a hard rack Thule making the price comparisons: $750 - $1400 - $1200 with the WS models probably tracking a little better, faster e.t.c.

what to do, what to do........???
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: buying decisions

Okay in the FWIW department. I made a deal on the Cobra Navigator XF mostly because it came fully equipped and the owner convinced me it is a decent boat. It has been well taken care of. It comes with a 5 gal live bait tank which usually is mounted behind the seat in the well, but he also made a very sturdy velcro mount in the cockpit which works well provided I am not wearing large boots or something. (I usually use surf booties anyway). I have read many reviews and despite a small number claiming it has questionable secondary stability, I am of the opinion after talking with the owner it will not pose a problem. He says it is "fast" and tracks well. Again, this is subjective and I am not overly concerned as I wont be making any long treks anyway and will stay in bays and nearby coastal kelp. I could not pass it up given he is providing most everything I need for now i.e. paddle, seat, trolley,anchor,bait tank, battery, case, switch, charger, pfd. The weight is about 45 lbs and is 31 inches wide which was a consideration given my intent to transport rooftop on my Hyundai Sonata using a Hobie Quick Strap Rack system. I like that as the tie straps are sewn in to the foam pads. Oh...also negotiated a pretty good deal and am saving nearly $900 over my original intended purchase of a Tarpon 140 and Thule Hard Rack.

Anyway, its a done deal.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Home Guard

kobra is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your new ride James. Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Free Swimmer

JessicaParker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
Congrats on your new ride James. Hope it works out for you.
Congratz from my side as well, best of luck for your new kayak hoping your would be enjoying the ride....