All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 09-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Thoughts and Impressions of the 07 Hobie Outback Mirage

Drew and I went down to Fastlane Sailing Center this morning. We wanted to try out the brand new 07 Hobie Outback Mirage.

When we got there we checked out the Outback that they had on display. It was beautiful! Without a doubt it is the most well made rotomolded kayak that I have ever seen!

The finish and quality of construction are second to none! We takled to Ron Lane, the owner. He told us about the improvements that were made on the 07 vs the 06. The hull is a little flatter. This gives the kayak better stability
for people under 200 lbs. The tankwell layout is a little different on the 07.

The front hatch is good size, and getting rods in there on the water shouldn't be a problem.

We were all set to try the outback out on the water at Dana Landing. They only had one Outback for demos, so they put a new Revolution in the water for us to try out also.

The Revolution is a much sleeker kayak than the Outback. 28.5 inches wide vs the Outback's 33 inches. 13.5 ft long vs 12.1 for the Outback.
I got in the Outback first. The kid that works for Ron adjusted the peddles
and let me know a few things about the Outback. Then I was off. The kayak is as stable as a rock! The rudder is very responsive on the Outback. It turns on a dime. The kid told me that taking full strokes with the peddles was unnecessary. That I just needed to take short fast strokes and the kayak would move out. He was right! That sucker took off like a rocket! Out of the hole this kayak really gets with the program! Carving turns with the hand controlled rudder is a blast! We decided to drag race the Outback and the Revolution. Surprisingly the race was pretty close. The revolution pulled the Outback by about a boat length, but that was about it. We went back to the dock and switched kayaks. The Revolution is fast! Of course it is not as stable as the Outback, but it has pretty good glide after you stop peddling.
The Outback doesn't have much glide, but this doesn't seem to hinder the performance much. The Mirage drive more than makes up for it. The rudder wasn't nearly as responsive on the Revolution as the Outback's. This isn't a big deal once you get out in open water though. The Revolution was a great
kayak. Fast and fun, but not as stable as I would like for a fishing kayak. The Outback was a fantastic kayak! It has everything I would want in a fishing kayak. Stability, storage, a great deck layout, and good speed to get out to the fishing grounds! Afterwards we checked out the 07 outback some more in the showroom and talked to Ron about the kayak. He really is a nice guy! Thanks Ron for letting us pick your brain and thanks for the demo! There is no doubt in my mind that my next kayak will be a 07 Hobie Outback Mirage from Fastlane Sailing Center. That Outback is fantastic!

Robert

Last edited by Robert; 09-16-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Free Swimmer

dwest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts and Impressions of the 07 Hobie Outback Mirage

Nice post. Economical text with some clear photos. How about some on-the-water shots next time?
Old 09-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Robert,
Thank You for the paddling impressions and the photos If anyone else want to see the full set of photos, they are in our photopost. All I can say is there are a boatload of hobies around now up here in OC. You can't go fishing without seeing at least 3 or more of them. A few years back, you went 3 or 4 trips before seeing one of them. I was going to try one before buying my recent Big Game, but it never came together with finding the right model. I'm afraid to try one now because I may want to sell the kayak I just got and buy one, but then again life is too short to paddle/pedal the wrong kayak.TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 09-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

Does the new Hobie Outback have the "lay flat" rudder? My March 06 has the older drop-down rudder but has changed to the new hinged hatches which I love!

Tip on the hinged hatches - drill quarter inch holes in the cross-bracing under the hatch lids to attach short leashes to your plastic tackle boxes, etc. Then when you lift your hatch you can just pull the line right out.

What did they do with the drive unit? I bought the new, high performance grey and black fins which work great. A guy who works for Hobie says they have shortened the even newer fins a bit because they were wearing out the adjustment holes on the drive.

I like the ability to really power out if I want to move fast.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Barracuda

Sea Slug,
Yes the 07 has the lay flat rudder. The new hull design is more stable. Especially
for lighter people. It is a awesome kayak!

Robert
Old 09-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Free Swimmer

slayersmith is on a distinguished road

Did you guys get a chance to try the adventure? Its a 16ft boat, with the turbo fins it just flys. I bought an adventure about 4 months ago and love it.
I picked up an older outback off of e-bay about 3 years ago. It is a great boat very stable. I made a rack on the back of it for hoop nets, I can carry 5 nets,with the Scotty trap ezz its a hooping machine. Can't wait only a couple of weeks until the season starts.

Perry, If you try the hobie peddal drive you might not go back to a paddle boat. I love being able to troll and still have a hand free to drink a beer.

Take it easy!

Aaron
Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Barracuda

Slayersmith,
We didn't try the Adventure. I'll bet that the Adventure hauls butt! For the type of fishing that I do, I am more interested in stability and capacity. The 07 Outback has these issues covered. I am looking forward to some
while trolling!

Robert
Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Free Swimmer

Robert,

Everything hobie makes is quality. You will be very happy with a hobie, I know I am. They are not cheap but worth it. If you do get one make sure you make a lease for the peddel drive because replacement is $400.00 brand new.
Last year I loaned my hobie outback to a buddy and he lost the peddle drive in the surf during a launch. I had a little luck though and found a peddle drive on e-bay for $200.00 (they never come up) it was an expensive day for my buddy.

Take it easy!

Aaron
Old 09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Barracuda

Slayersmith,
Good advice my Brother! I got over confident and didn't leash any of my rods
for 3 years. A few months ago I flipped my Tarpon over in the bay, of all places, on a fairly calm day and lost a couple of rods and some gear. I learned my lesson big time! I don't care if I am going out in water 1 ft deep. I put a leash on everything now. When I found out how much those Mirage drives cost I started making plans for a leash right away.

Robert
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Free Swimmer

Robert,

Good luck on your purchase!

Take it easy!

Aaron