All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Catalina Bass'n Bugs - 12/26

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Took a late 10am start this morning and headed over to Catalina with my oldest son Ryan for a bit of lobster hooping.

Expectations were running high as we zipped across the channel at 35 mph, just a beautiful day out there. Trolled the frontside and made enough bait in about 45 minutes.

This gave us the opportunity to get in some calico fishing before the sun went down. Hit a few spots for about 10 fish in the 2-4lb range. No photos as my photographer was in a Bonine induced coma on the leaning post.

No worries though as he was up before we put out the first nets, which all came up empty. Made a move to a spot down the island and 4th pull produced 3 legals and 1 short, we were stoked, first lobsters on the new boat!

Made about 6 more pulls for a total of 6 legals and 4 shorts, plus a 5 foot moray eel and a 2 foot moray eel.

Out of there by 7:00pm with 6 legals in the bait well. I was quite happy with this condsidering this was my first attempt at hooping.

Ryan was a trooper, helped clean the boat and bugs. Here are 5 of the 6 bugs scheduled for a seating around the grill tomorrow night!

Question, does anyone use the leftover bug body parts for their next hooping trip?

Ed