All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Predator

fishfinder has a spectacular aura about
Default Huntington harbor 6/5/07

Huntington harbor 6-5
Red tide moved into the harbor with the incoming high tide mostly patches at the bridge area to buoy #7

I was cruising the internet and came upon a guy in Canada (Nova Lures) that pours his own bait so after some consideration i basically ordered 1 of each type he had, just to try something different OH MY GOD I can’t believe how different these baits act in the water.
For my fishing needs he recommended adding weight (BB's) in the belly. these weights were added while he was pouring. I included a picture of his baits the second one down you can see the BB's,now I use a smaller lead head and it swims like a fish not a yoyo
All these fish were caught on his smaller bait, fished it both Texas and Carolina style.
And the 24" halibut was caught on the bigger BB weighted Swim bait

Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Huntington harbor 6/5/07

FF, Looks like a lure I may be interested in. Thanks for the info This summer I'd like to make it out to a few different harbors and get plenty of fishing time in. Maybe I'll catch you at Huntington some time.

Hank

Old 06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Predator

Drop me a e-mail I might want to tag along
Old 06-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

I would love to go out with you to HH for my first time there! steve at seaslug.com
Old 06-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Huntington harbor 6/5/07

Pete,
Thanks for sharing your report with us and especially the information about the baits. I think it's really cool you enjoying the local fishing as it were. I like the fishing down in San Diego, but the drive and travel time make local fishing appealing alot of the time. I like bassing it in Newport and Huntington Harbor as it's an easy drive and you can still score some fish. Have you tried fishing Newport yet, or are you fishing in HH mostly?
See 'ya soon,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Water Rat

Exclamation Re: Huntington harbor 6/5/07

Omited by WR

Last edited by Water Rat; 07-06-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Predator

I didn't get the grumpy or the big head.I think he just added them to his collection. Yes he will custom pour whatever laminate you desire About weight drop him an e-mail he might (not sure) be able to add salt to the pour to give it weight.This Gentleman will help you in anyway he can ,shoot him an e-mail He might have the sizes you need just not posted.This is his hobby so I think he's got stuff up his sleeve as far as designs and projects he's working on.When I ordered he was describing bait that wasn't on his web site so work with him (maybe on new designs). Im thinking about pouring myself, If you purchase the grumpy or big head send me a sample and ill try to prototype it to your specs you need. But before that email him find out if he has or can make what you need

Perry
I would love to fish Newport But i don't know anything about the harbor.
As a beginner I wanted to learn everything about HH, now fishing it for the past 2 years I got to know it very well. I'm faced with the choice of fishing HH and catching or Newport and not doing as well. If someone would like to share good areas to start fishing in Newport I would appreciate it (pm or email me)

Thanks
Pete
Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Huntington harbor 6/5/07

Fishfinder,
I would say for Newport, just keep doing what you're doing and if you're not getting bit, move around to different places. Probably not what you're looking for, but if you're working the boat docks and not scoring, maybe change your baits or move and try the moorings. If that's not working for you, try the channel and get around the eelgrass, that type of thing. The layout is larger, but very similar also. Moorings, some docks, some eel grass etc...I would say to work them just like you are now to start with. There is alot of fish in Newport, but no single spot where I cast in and crank out large bass at. If there was, I'd be there every weekend There's fish, but you have to sorta work at them and don't be afraid to try new baits and spots.

Coast Guard Beach is probably the nicest place to launch, but during summer they restrict the launch times because you transport your kayak over the sand where the other peeps are getting some sun and playing. By Paddlepower Kayaks at 15th street is another launch with a small beach.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road

Just ordered the following lures from Nova.

They will also send some freebies and some new patterns to try out. I'll post results when I put them in the water.

Hank

Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Predator

Hank, those are killers you will love them
Pete