All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Fur Bags

What a classic photo. If there was any species that needs to be examined to get real scientific facts about whether they should still be protected, it's these fur bags IMHO.

I was watching the dangerous catch or whatever it's called about crabbing out of Alaska earlier this week. The crabbers use 2 floats on their lines that go to their crab cages. The top float is bright orange and larger in size than a backup float which is grey, smaller in size and down below the main float. Why do they have a backup? Because as they showed, seals play with the bright floats and pop them with their teeth like a chew toy. They showed float after float with bite marks in them. One boat threw a little over a hundred cages in their line, and replaced twenty some floats because they were popped. I know it goes with the territory, but that's a lotta floats.

I notice in this photo, the float in the center of the swim step is also deflated. I wonder what got it?

I'm curious, who here has had any experiences or contact with these fur bags when kayak fishing or diving or boating?

Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Home Guard

mg2969 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fur Bags

Tubers in LB harbor up by terminal island got attacked / aggressively harassed back at the end of march.

Baytubers.com :: Log in
Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Predator

Needlefish will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Fur Bags

Yeah, I was fishing SD Bay Bait Receiver and the "bags" would hang right around the yak until you hook a fish. God help you if you catch something. Funny how they swam away when I hooked a sculpin
Old 05-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Fur Bags

I don't have an account there, so no reading for me. I'm lucky I've never been bothered while tubing the salt. I've been bumped a few times really hard in my kayak down at the bait barge area at Dana Point and San Diego by a rather large seal. Down in San Diego, I got dogged way up in Mission Bay during a tourney where the seal was following us and munching of our fish as we were trying to land them. Probably the worst is when we are hoop netting for and the seals are raiding nets for free meals for an evening. It seems they just don't leave before they're good and ready.

PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Home Guard

Theres also a good thread at
Kayak4Fish.com :: View topic - Sea Lions in the Harbors and Bays
Old 05-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

I had a barracuda cut in half in Dana Harbor. When this huge sea lion(about 800 lbs!), came screaming at my yak for the other half, he went under my yak at the last second almost flipping me. I threw him the other half, to save my a--! His name was Elvis and he had tusks(incisor teeth) that were at least three inches long! He was famous for causing problems in Dana! About a month ago, Viking had his first legal halibut ripped off his game clip in Dana Harbor. I'd just taken a pic of it! The seal almost flipped Viking, and the stood a short distance away, eating Viking(Wayne's ) halibut!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Home Guard

Having been educated by CA-DFG that dealing with these animals is a federal matter, I was directed to the following link for guidance

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.pdf
Old 05-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I thought you may find that pic interesting Perry.
I shot that on the way back to 15th St after I left you guys at the north beach launch. I was thinking of what the boat owner would think of that guy hanging out on his boat.
I had one follow my Dad and I for a long distance a couple years ago when they were having a lot of trouble in NPH with them. I was afraid he would try to board my kayak and shove it under. He had been looking for a place to get out around Balboa when we happened by. That was my Dad's first trip out on his new Drifter. That would have probably been his last if that thing didn't eventually leave us alone.
I have been buzzed by them underwater and even had one yank on my fin once when I was diving for lobsters. Nothing more serious than that though. They mostly just buzz around and check us out and blow bubbles once in a while.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

I was leaving the bait barge in Newport Bay and two of the big boys were playing grab a.. swimming toward the barge. One shouldered the other right up on the bow of my Hobie - slid off before I went clear under. Almost had to go in for pants change.

It put a lot of water inside through the front hatch which was not tight.

Anyone who thinks they are cute and should be completely protected should have one at home for a week to feed and care for in their tub or pool.

steve
Old 05-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

This was taken in the same area on the 26th. I wonder if it is the same guy? As I was shooting this photo a guy with a couple of little kids on a rental Kayak comes charging up to this boat to show his kids what a Sea Lion looks like up close. He must have thought he ws at the zoo. He was not happy with me when I pointed out the fact that this thing was a wild animal and although calm for the moment he was capable of moving faster than he could imagine and this Sea Lion would not take the safety of his children into consideration if he thought they were a threat and would flip that Malibu II he was paddling with no effort.
Attached Images