View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Baitfish

Ozwalt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What kayak should I buy?

4'8" 390 pounds. Is that a problem?

Always glad to meet people in sales who are more interested in long-term business relationships than just the next paycheck. Unfortunately, I think you might be outnumbered by the latter, but I'll bet you already know that!

I'm 6 foot, and weight is usually 240ish. I have some kayak & canoe experience, but nothing technical. In a former life I was an adventure therapist, I've taught loads of teenagers the basics of canoeing & whatnot, but no whitewater experience to speak of. You'd probably call me your basic recreational floater, but with a lot more time on a river than most of them. Stability is important -- can't afford a spill if I'm carting client equipment -- but the river I'm fishing is not an especially challenging river. If I dump the boat, it's because I did something stupid. The river is occasionally class 2, with almost all the challenges being due to massive log jams & timber lay downs. The river floods big every spring. Normal baseline flow is about 300cfs, but twice this spring it was over 20,000 cfs. This changes the river every year and adds new obstacles that I'll need to maneuver. I won't take clients on the river if it's above 600cfs, though.

Thanks in advance for the help.