View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Baitfish

gr8gamer is on a distinguished road
Default Putting Kayak in Huntington Harbor

Hi everyone,

OK, so I got my Hobie Outfitter (tandem) last week and I went out with my wife to Avila Bay. Beautiful weather and the beach access is Kayak friendly. You can drive your truck onto a load/unload area and you are less than 30 feet from the water, with minimal to no surf. When you kayak to the wharf, you can go underneath and the restaurant has plexiglass bottoms over the tables; you can see the customers and they can see you waving back, it's cool. I saw another yakker coming in with a nice lingcod he caught with a friend near the lighthouse.

My question is minimal to no surf access (since I'm still a newbie). I know about the Alamitos Bay access near Naples, is there a similar area in Huntington Harbor? I'd like to take my wife onto H. Harbor and tour around abit (before I try open water). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, I've found the Mirage drive system works well. The mechanism is a little stiff, which I attributa to being new. I'm gonna decrease to tension on the chains (just a smidge) and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Paul I.