View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Baitfish

whitestpimpuknow is on a distinguished road
Default Questions About Buying...

So I'm planning to purchase a couple of fishing kayaks in the next few weeks. I have done a decent bit of research, but since I'm basically new to the kayak market, eventhough I have rented them alot before, all the information is a little overwhelming to me. I have a few of my questions, and ask that some of the people with more "real-world" experience could give their input. Please note that the main features I am searching for include stability (resistance to rolling and tipping over), comfort (keeping decently dry) and maneuverability (I would like to be able to relatively easy turn and paddle the kayak, although speed isn't a key issue to me). Also, I plan to fish mostly freshwater lakes and some slow to medium speed rivers.

1) Should I get a Sit-in kayak, or sit on top? I have read that sit on tops or more stable, and if you tip them over, they are easier to get back into (although I hope it never comes to that )

2) What are some of the better models in the 400-600 dollar range? I saw that the Pelican castaway series and Crow Wing series were in this range, but they have some mixed reviews. Are these really any good, and if not, what are some recommendations for this price range that would be better.

3) Is it safe to leave them on top of the car if I go on away for a few days, and really don't have anywhere else to put them (i.e if it were to rain).. I don't really think hotel guests and staff would like me dragging a kayak through the halls and in and out of my room.

4) I did say I was going to due mostly freshwater fishing. However, I have heard about when some people go surf fishing, they will paddle out on their kayak a bit, drop their bait in the water, and paddle back to shore. I may try this when I go to the beach later this summer. That said, I have heard there are both saltwater and freshwater kayaks. Would I be safe and ok if I were to use a freshwater kayak in saltwater. That's probably a stupid question, but like i said, I'm an expert fisherman, but a kayak nincompoop.

thanks alot everyone!!!